Washington (CNN Business)TikTok won’t be kicked off of US app stores — at least not yet. A federal judge on Sunday partially granted TikTok’s request for a temporary injunction against a push by the Trump administration to ban the app in the United States. The ruling blocks a US government ban on downloads of the app mere hours before the policy was to take effect. Trump is stealing China’s playbook to deal with TikTok The decision is a victory for TikTok after it challenged the ban as unconstitutional and a violation of due process. The ban would have been an “extraordinary action at the very time when the need for free, open and accessible communication in America is at its zenith” ahead of a presidential election, said John Hall, an attorney representing TikTok, said during an emergency hearing Sunday morning. Government lawyers, meanwhile, argued at that hearing that TikTok’s ownership by a Chinese firm represented an “immediate danger” to national security. The app’s parent company ByteDance is based in Beijing, and the Trump administration has claimed that the app’s American user data risks winding up in the hands of the Chinese government. (Tiktok has denied this as a possibility and… Read full this story
- The Complete Air Purifier Buying Guide: Here is How to Beat The Delhi Pollution
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Better Medicare Alliance - Dems unveil impeachment measure; Vindman splits GOP
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by JUUL Labs - Trump attack on progressive Dems draws sharp rebuke
- Pelosi announces launch of formal impeachment inquiry into Trump
- The Hill's Morning Report - Gillibrand drops out as number of debaters shrinks
Judge rules TikTok can avoid a ban in the US, for now have 278 words, post on edition.cnn.com at September 27, 2020. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.