close Video Tammy Bruce: Why Greenland Matters The State Department named a special envoy for the Arctic on Wednesday as the Trump administration seeks a greater role in the region to blunt the growing influence of Russia and China in the most northern part of the world. The appointment of veteran career diplomat Jim DeHart to be U.S. coordinator for the Arctic came just a week after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo vowed enhanced U.S. engagement in the Arctic on a visit to Denmark. The U.S. opened a consulate in the semi-autonomous Danish territory of Greenland earlier this year as part of its new Arctic strategy. TRUMP: US CONSIDERING POSSIBLY BUYING GREENLAND Pompeo has spoken in the past about the Trump administration’s determination to prevent Russia and China from playing a dominant role in the Arctic, which is heavily affected by climate change. Environmentalists criticized Pompeo last year when he spoke at an Arctic Council event in Finland and said the U.S. and others should exploit changes, including the reduction in ocean ice, for economic benefit. “The United States plays a critical leadership role on Arctic issues within the international community and remains committed to ensuring a peaceful region where… Read full this story
- Lobbying Firm Sought Envoys' Help to Save Russian Firm
- Ex-State Department Official ‘Destroyed’ Records At Request Of Christopher Steele
- House Republicans urge Barr to appoint special counsel to probe alleged Biden revelations
- Longtime Biden Aide Tony Blinken Will Be Secretary of State
- Steve Bannon boasted 'I have Hunter's hard drive' two weeks before its secrets were revealed - and allies of billionaire Chinese fugitive who pays Bannon and partied with Rudy Giuliani hinted at 'sex and money scandal' late in September too
- Trump urges Barr to 'act fast,' 'appoint somebody' to probe Hunter Biden business dealings
- Biden's climate policy: What does John Kerry's appointment mean for the environment?
- Georgia completes recount of ballots and CONFIRMS Biden's victory in latest blow to Trump's election fraud claims as the President's supporters rally at state capitol
- Donald Trump says Kim Jong-Un is 'in good health' amid rumors dictator is in a coma - and adds 'never underestimate him' after their 'love letters' were revealed
- Washington Blacklists 117 Chinese, Russian Aviation Firms In Last-Ditch Effort in US-China Trade War
State Department appoints special envoy to Arctic amid concerns over Russian, Chinese influence there have 376 words, post on www.foxnews.com at July 29, 2020. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.