Kindly Share This Story:Peruvian President Martin Vizcarra on Wednesday called a general election for April 11 of next year when he will step down as his country’s leader. His announcement formally marks the beginning of the process to hold presidential and legislative elections. “Fulfilling my commitment, here is the decree calling a general election for April 11, 2021,” Vizcarra said in a televised address from the government palace. Re-election is not permitted in Peru and presidential terms last five years. Previously the vice-president, Vizcarra came to power in March 2018 after Pedro Pablo Kuczynski was forced to resign as president over a corruption scandal related to millions of dollars in bribes paid by Brazilian construction giant Odebrecht. Vizcarra stressed that the presidential term could not be extended by “political crises, or the pandemic, or any other factor.” ALSO READ: Peruzzi, Basketmouth, Uti Nwachukwu: When your posts come back to haunt you If no presidential candidate gains an absolute majority in the first round of voting, there will be a run-off between the top two candidates. Vizcarra said the announcement would be published Thursday in the official government gazette. “We are within the terms of the law. From now, in a little… Read full this story
- Corbyn: PM must get agreement on Brexit plan or call general election
- PML-N unveils manifesto for General Elections 2018
- 60 EU observers to monitor general elections
- When is the next general election due to take place and how often are the votes held?
- PML-N to succeed if transparent general election ensured: Kirmani
- Richard Tice reveals why Remainers have blocked General Election 'they're TERRIFIED'
- 208 NA, 277 PA candidates contesting general elections 2018 from Rawalpingi Division
- Tensions mount as Bangladesh gears up for general election
- Peru's VP resigns post and role as 'interim president,' calls for new general elections
- ECP logistically fully prepared to hold general election-2018
Peru’s president calls general election for April 2021 have 311 words, post on www.vanguardngr.com at July 9, 2020. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.