The first COVID-19 vaccine tested in the U.S. revved up people’s immune systems just the way scientists had hoped, researchers reported Tuesday — as the shots are poised to begin key final testing. “No matter how you slice this, this is good news,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the U.S. government’s top infectious disease expert, told The Associated Press. The experimental vaccine, developed by Fauci’s colleagues at the National Institutes of Health and Moderna Inc., will start its most important step around July 27: A 30,000-person study to prove if the shots really are strong enough to protect against the coronavirus. ADVERTISEMENT But Tuesday, researchers reported anxiously awaited findings from the first 45 volunteers Those early volunteers developed what are called neutralizing antibodies in their bloodstream — molecules key to blocking infection — at levels comparable to those found in people who survived COVID-19, the research team reported in the New England Journal of Medicine. “This is an essential building block that is needed to move forward with the trials that could actually determine whether the vaccine does protect against infection,” said Dr. Lisa Jackson of the Kaiser Permanente Washington Research Institute in Seattle, who led the study. There’s no guarantee but… Read full this story
- 'First malaria vaccine' test starts
- Innovative child malaria vaccine test starts in Malawi
- New bowel cancer screening test a 'game-changer' for Northern Ireland
- US Measles Outbreak Tops 465 Cases, 80 Percent of Infected Under 19 Years of Age
- Warring sides blocked vaccine deliveries in Yemen as cholera outbreak worsened: report
- HPV vaccine to be offered to Northern Ireland boys
- Smear tests save lives, so why are numbers falling?
- Chloe Goodman, 25, has had half her cervix removed and could struggle to have a baby as she begs women to go for smear tests
- Tommy Conlon: 'International crises loom as fascinating title race heads into final furlong'
- ‘Roll out home-testing kits for cervical cancer virus’
First COVID-19 vaccine tested in US poised for final testing have 308 words, post on apnews.com at July 14, 2020. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.