(CNN)As Brazil’s coronavirus cases surge by the tens of thousands each day, the country is contending with a parallel outbreak — a flurry of corruption investigations into the alleged misuse of public money rapidly shelled out for Covid-19 emergency procurement. The investigations have reached all levels of government, including three state governors who have come under federal scrutiny in the past two months. Nearly 1,500 federal criminal judicial proceedings have also been opened into coronavirus-related cases, including investigations into misuse of federal funds, fraud, overpricing, and money laundering, according to a summary the federal prosecution office shared with CNN. The data provided to CNN does not specify what portion of the probes relate to corruption. Brazil’s Jair Bolsonaro tests positive for Covid-19 after months of dismissing the seriousness of the virus Meanwhile, cases of coronavirus are soaring across Brazil, and the healthcare system in several states has been stretched to its limit. Brazil is second only to the United States in the number of infections and deaths, and on Tuesday, bombastic president Jair Bolsonaro was also diagnosed with Covid-19. State-level investigations On the state level, investigations into Covid-19 emergency purchases have been reported in at least 11 of Brazil’s 26… Read full this story
- Former lord mayor apologises over leaflet that ‘alleged corruption’
- After dramatic standoff, Brazil's Lula surrenders to police
- Brazil’s da Silva in police custody after tense showdown
- Brazil's Lula surrenders to police to begin jail sentence after tense showdown
- After top court rejects his plea, will Brazil’s Lula still have a way to avoid jail?
- Brazil's ex-president 'Lula' defies order to turn self in
- Gaddafi relations haunt Sarkozy in 2007 campaign financing case
- Brazil's former president to turn himself in
- Brazil’s ex-president to turn himself in
- Larnaca municipal official’s corruption case opens
As coronavirus cases explode in Brazil, so do investigations into alleged corruption have 291 words, post on edition.cnn.com at July 8, 2020. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.