Sugarcane farmers in Cu Lao Dung District, the largest sugarcane producer in Soc Trang Province, are likely to lose 150ha of sugarcane since they cannot find buyers for their crop, which is ready for harvest. The district has around 3,900ha of sugarcane in the 2019 -20 sugarcane season. The Soc Trang Sugar Joint Stock Company, the district’s main sugarcane producer, recently stopped buying. Traders who buy sugarcane for making juice have also reduced their buying because of the impact the COVID – 19 pandemic. Sugarcane farmers have earned very little or even suffered losses because of low prices and lack of demand. In recent years they have suffered from low prices and demand volatility because of low sugar prices, according to the farmers. Many whose fields are near roads have switched to growing sugarcane varieties used for making juice. But Dang Thi Cam Giang, who has grown one such variety on two hectares in Đại Ân 1 Commune, said she has been able to sell only 0.5ha of sugarcane so far. If she cannot sell the rest within half a month, she would have to cut down and throw away her sugarcane to start a new crop, she said. The… Read full this story
- Ruined Rural Economy - Renaissance of Farmers Part - 12
- Ruined Rural Economy - Doomed Farmers Part 9
- Ruined Rural Economy - Debt Death Trap Part - 11
- The Painted Portrait - What is So Hard About it?
- Ethanol, Fertilizer & Higher Natural Gas Prices
- A Review of a Zambian Safari to the Victoria Falls
- Cotton - Genetically Modified Seeds
- LCIP's Wealth Building Enterprise
Sugarcane farmers in Soc Trang Province unable to sell crop have 259 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at May 27, 2020. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.