KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Ukraine’s parliament on Wednesday is set to accept the resignation of the nation’s prime minister and reshuffle the Cabinet after six months on the job. Members of President Volodymyr Zelenskiy’s Servant of the People party that dominates the parliament said the party decided to accept Prime Minister Oleksiy Honcharuk and replace him with Denys Shmygal. Shmygal, who was named deputy prime minister last month, had previously served as head of the regional administration in the western Ivano-Frankivsk region. Lawmakers said that several other key Cabinet members could lose their jobs in the shake-up. The 35-year-old Honcharuk first offered his resignation in January after he was caught on tape saying Zelenskiy — a former sitcom star with no previous political experience — knows nothing about the economy. Zelenskiy then called the situation “unpleasant,” but asked Honcharuk to stay in the job. It wasn’t immediately clear what caused Honcharuk to step down now. The Cabinet reshuffle comes as Zelenskiy’s approval ratings have dropped significantly since his landslide victory in April’s presidential election. Zelenskiy, 42 campaigned on promises to end the war with Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine and combat the country’s endemic corruption. Zelenskiy initiated a new round… Read full this story
- China Parliament sets key meeting for May as COVID-19 epidemic subsides
- Australia to get a new PM today: Scott Morrison to run against Peter Dutton for the top job - as senior ministers desert Malcolm Turnbull and ALL of his backers tell him to quit for the good of Australia
- Azarov's Bombshell: Ukrainian Ex-PM Reveals Who Was Behind Maidan Sniper Deaths
- PM May 'Will Find A Way' to Pass Brexit Draft Plan Through Parliament – UK FM
- Ukrainian Lawmaker Claims Saw Those, Who Brought Snipers to Euromaidan in 2014
- Defiant Zuma holds on despite resignation order from ANC
- Saakashvili says Ukrainian President Zelenskiy is 'against thieves'
- Ukrainian Nationalists Participating in Rally in Kiev to Mark Bandera's Birthday
- UK Trade Minister Resigns Following Financial Dispute with Father
- Govt considering suggestions to build new Parliament complex: PM Narendra Modi
Ukrainian parliament set to accept PM’s resignation have 346 words, post on apnews.com at March 4, 2020. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.