WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump has ousted the Pentagon’s top policy official who had certified last year that Ukraine had made enough anti-corruption progress to justify the Trump administration’s release of congressionally authorized aid to Kyiv in its conflict against Russian-backed separatists. John Rood resigned Wednesday, saying he was leaving at Trump’s request. The Trump administration’s delay in releasing the aid to Ukraine was central to the president’s impeachment by the House on charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. The Senate voted to acquit the president. But in the wake of the Senate trial, an emboldened Trump has gone after officials he has perceived as being disloyal. Rood is the latest official to be purged. His forced resignation comes as Democrats on the Hill express concerns that Trump is on a vendetta in the wake of his acquittal. Just days after the Senate vote, the White House reassigned an Army officer, Lt. Col. Alex Vindman, a key witness in the impeachment inquiry, from the National Security Council, and pushed his twin brother, an NSC lawyer, out with him. Gordon Sondland, Trump’s ambassador to the European Union who also was a key witness before House investigators, was… Read full this story
- Trump: US Defense Secretary Mark Esper 'terminated'
- Overnight Defense: Trump fires Defense chief Mark Esper | Worries grow about rudderless post-election Pentagon | Esper firing hints at broader post-election shake-up | Pelosi says Esper firing shows Trump intent on sowing 'chaos'
- Trump Rejects, Then Grants Wildfire Disaster Aid to California
- Trump fires Pentagon Secretary Mark Esper by tweet - who lashes back that he wasn't a 'yes man': President hands role to Chris Miller and says he'll do a 'great job'
- Trump loyalists get top Pentagon jobs after Esper firing
- Donald Trump is seen for first time since Sunday as he and Melania lead national commemoration for Veterans Day at Arlington while Joe Biden lays wreath at memorial in Philadelphia
- Trump's aides are 'certain legal challenges won't change election result' and claim President has 'resigned himself to losing... but is keeping up a show for supporters while shunning intelligence meetings'
- Defense Department officials 'fear Trump is about to start operations against Iran' after he abruptly sacked Pentagon Secretary Mark Esper
- Donald Trump has told aides he will immediately announce he will run in 2024 when Joe Biden is certified as the winner but is still floating wild theory he could get states to ignore the popular vote
- Trump and His GOP Enablers Are as Bad as Benedict Arnold
Trump ousts top defense official who certified Ukraine aid have 414 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at February 19, 2020. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.