WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump has ousted the Pentagon’s top policy official who had certified last year that Ukraine had made enough anti-corruption progress to justify the Trump administration’s release of congressionally authorized aid to Kyiv in its conflict against Russian-backed separatists. John Rood resigned Wednesday, saying he was leaving at Trump’s request. The Trump administration’s delay in releasing the aid to Ukraine was central to the president’s impeachment by the House on charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. The Senate voted to acquit the president. But in the wake of the Senate trial, an emboldened Trump has gone after officials he has perceived as being disloyal. Rood is the latest official to be purged. His forced resignation comes as Democrats on the Hill express concerns that Trump is on a vendetta in the wake of his acquittal. Just days after the Senate vote, the White House reassigned an Army officer, Lt. Col. Alex Vindman, a key witness in the impeachment inquiry, from the National Security Council, and pushed his twin brother, an NSC lawyer, out with him. Gordon Sondland, Trump’s ambassador to the European Union who also was a key witness before House investigators, was… Read full this story
- Rudy Giuliani now says he can't be on Trump's impeachment defense team because his 'trial by combat' speech at Capitol rally 'makes him a WITNESS'
- Trump 'orders aides not to pay Giuliani's $20K-a-day fee' as he turns on his closest allies in fury at being impeached for a second time and wallows in 'self-pity' and 'isolation'
- Donald Trump claims 'I couldn't terminate John Kelly fast enough - he was in way over his head' after former chief of staff unloads saying Alexander Vindman was RIGHT to report an illegal order and president got PLAYED by Kim Jong Un
- OVERNIGHT DEFENSE: 12 removed from National Guard inauguration security | Austin backs lifting transgender ban
- Trump DENIES Rudy's claim that he is on the impeachment defense team after he said the President didn't incite Capitol riot because voter fraud allegations are 'true'
- Liz Cheney holds talks with top Democrat Jamie Raskin as she leads at least FIVE Republicans vowing to vote to impeach Trump - with Mitch McConnell 'more than 50% likely' to convict President when it comes to the Senate
- Defense bill battle showcases 2024 GOP hopefuls
- Trump prepares list of up to 100 pardons that doesn't include himself or his children: Lil Wayne, corrupt politician Sheldon Silver and a fraudster eye doctor are expected to get clemency - but Steve Bannon is 'TBD' and Julian Assange may miss out
- Trump-backing Lil Wayne will get pardoned but Steve Bannon is 'TBD' and Julian Assange will definitely not get clemency - with self-pardon or pardons for his family 'off the agenda'
- Biden’s inauguration – US officials ‘fear inside attack and will vet National Guard troops’
Trump ousts top defense official who certified Ukraine aid have 468 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at February 19, 2020. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.