Atletico v Liverpool: Jurgen Klopp previews 'difficult' clash
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The Champions League continues this week as the 16 remaining teams go head-to-head in the first round of knockout ties. Only one team boasts a perfect record in the competition so far, with Bayern Munich securing six wins from six games to top Group B.
The Bavarian giants have therefore earned themselves a theoretically favourable draw against Group H runners-up Chelsea.
The Blues only managed three wins as they scraped through into the knockout stages, and Frank Lampard's men are also experiencing a slump in form domestically.
Chelsea are without a win in their past four Premier League matches, most recently suffering a 2-0 defeat to Manchester United at Stamford Bridge on Monday.
The Blues have four days to get back on track but face Tottenham at home on Saturday before welcoming Bayern to west London next week.
The Champions League knockout stages get underway this week (Image: GETTY)
While Bayern and Chelsea have longer to prepare for the first leg of their last 16 tie, Premier League table-toppers Liverpool get the action underway this evening.
Jurgen Klopp's side are back at the Wanda Metropolitano – the scene of their Champions League triumph over Spurs last year – and will face Atletico Madrid tonight.
The Reds are unbeaten in the league, having dropped just two points all season, and finished top of Group E ahead of Napoli.
Meanwhile, Diego Simeone's side were left trailing a dominant Juventus outfit in Group D but still had enough to comfortably see off Bayer Leverkusen and Lokomotiv Moscow to book their spot in the next round.
DON’T MISS Man Utd and Arsenal not among most influential Premier League clubs – Chelsea only 10th Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man Utd join surprise club at top of net transfer spend table All-time Premier League table: Liverpool gain on Chelsea and Arsenal but Man Utd still top
However, fans are not convinced they will be able to contain a rampant Liverpool with 23 per cent of supporters predicting an away victory for the Reds.
Using the official UEFA Champions League predictor , fans have called the results of every knockout fixture in order to earn points towards prizes – and the majority of supporters expect a 2-1 win for the European champions.
Borussia Dortmund host Paris Saint-Germain in tonight's other clash, with a thrilling 2-2 draw predicted by 16 per cent of respondents.
Atalanta and Valencia are expected to share the spoils in Italy while Tottenham are backed to earn a slender lead over RB Leipzig in the final game set to take place this week.
Fans have predicted Liverpool to beat Atletico Madrid at the Wanda Metropolitano (Image: UEFA)
Barcelona travel to Napoli in seven days time, with the La Liga giants favourites to secure a first-leg advantage, while Juventus are expected to overpower Lyon.
Finally, Real Madrid host Manchester City at the Bernabeu in the final first-leg clash in the round of 16 – and its likely to be tough going for Pep Guardiola's men.
City were rocked this week by a UEFA-imposed Champions League ban which means they could be prevented from competing in Europe for the next two seasons.
They will therefore be desperate to make their mark this time around and can't afford to be playing catch-up against Real Madrid – but how accurate will these score predictions be?
Atletico Madrid: Simeone gives Diego Costa training update
Champions League 2019/20 predictions – Last 16 first leg
Atletico Madrid 1-2 Liverpool
Borussia Dortmund 2-2 Paris Saint-Germain
Atalanta 1-1 Valencia
Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 RB Leipzig
Chelsea 1-3 Bayern Munich
Napoli 1-2 Barcelona
Lyon 0-2 Juventus
Real Madrid 2-1 Manchester City
Manchester City face a tough task up against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu (Image: UEFA)
- Spurs sell out entire 62,000 allocation for the Champions League screening at new stadium
- Crazy opening 21 minutes sees FIVE goals in bonkers clash as Spurs knock Man City out of Champions League on record breaking night
- Champions League and Europa League OFF due to coronavirus, including Man Utd and Chelsea ties next week
- Mini tournament for Champions League, Europa League?
- Man City ban: Champions League takeaways, questions
- Liverpool to march on, City's capital gains and a United draw? - Opta predicts Premier League fixtures
- Will Liverpool still win the Premier League if season is cancelled, can season be voided, and what happens now?
- Table of Europe’s top five leagues revealed and Liverpool’s dominance becomes clearer with HUGE gap over second place
- Coronavirus: UEFA could turn Champions League, Europa League into mini-tournaments, report says
- Lucas hat-trick takes Tottenham to Champions League final and breaks Ajax hearts
- RB Leipzig 3-0 Tottenham (Agg: 4-0): Spurs exit Champions League after humbling defeat
- Manchester City beat Liverpool to win League Cup
- Champions League and Europa League are the latest competitions to be suspended indefinitely
- Champions League, Europa League postponed due to coronavirus
- Champions League knockout stage scores, schedule, live stream, TV listings: Man. City beats Real Madrid
- Adrian’s error ushers Liverpool toward Champions League exit
- Liverpool slumps to 1st loss of EPL season, 3-0 at Watford
- Bayern better for Chelsea loss – Heynckes
- UEFA emergency meeting: What to expect with Euro 2020, Champions League decisions looming
- Man City will need all of Pep Guardiola’s powers to not let league slip after Euro exit
Champions League fixtures predicted: Liverpool and Spurs win, Chelsea loss, City vs Real have 1089 words, post on www.express.co.uk at February 18, 2020. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.