WASHINGTON, Dec. 20 (Xinhua) — U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Friday invited President Donald Trump to deliver the annual State of the Union address on Feb. 4, possibly during the latter’s impeachment trial.
“In the spirit of respecting our Constitution, I invite you to deliver your State of the Union address before a Joint Session of Congress on Tuesday, February 4, 2020 in the Chamber of the U.S. House of Representatives,” Pelosi, a California Democrat, told Trump in a letter.
The invitation came two days after the president was impeached by the House over abuse of power in his dealings with Ukraine, as well as obstruction of Congress during the House’s impeachment inquiry initiated in late September.
Pelosi has yet to commit to handing the two House-passed articles of impeachment over to the Senate, which the U.S. Constitution says has “the sole power to try all impeachments.”
Pelosi said Wednesday night after the impeachment vote that her chamber will withhold the articles of impeachment and cannot name House managers for the trial “until we see what the process is on the Senate side,” adding that Democrats so far “haven’t seen anything that looks fair to us.”
The Senate is expected to hold the trial in mid-January to determine whether to remove Trump from office — the possibility of which Mitch McConnell, Republican from Kentucky and the chamber’s Majority Leader, said is “zero.”
The House’s delay of the proceedings, which U.S. media cited a senior Democratic aide as saying could be at least two weeks or longer, could mean that Trump’s speech informing Congress of the current status of the nation, if scheduled as Pelosi proposed in the letter, will overlap with the impeachment trial which is likely to take weeks.
McConnell has vowed a quick wrap-up of the trial to acquit Trump of the allegations.
- Hunter Biden's Tax Probe Should Have Been Disclosed Before Trump Impeachment Trial, Senator Says
- From Trump's impeachment trial to Hunter Biden: The biggest political scandals of 2020
- Trump Says Stimulus Checks 'May Go Higher,' Amid Senate GOP Spending Split
- Trump ignores Pelosi's un-invite on State of the Union
- COVID-19, Border Wall & Economic Stall: How Have Trump's Domestic Politics Fared in His Four Years?
- 'Big day in Israel. Congratulations!' Trump tweets jubilantly at official opening by Jared and Ivanka of U.S. embassy in Jerusalem - as bloody day of violence sees Israeli snipers kill 52 and injure 2,400
- Republicans REFUSE to give Trump the $2,000 relief checks he demanded and say they won't sign up to Pelosi's plan for Christmas Eve deal - setting up crisis which could shut down government
- Biden tears into Trump for refusing to accept the 'will of the people', calls his 'extreme' fraud claims an 'assault on democracy', says he won by a landslide and tells US 'it's time to turn the page'
- Could Trump Be Charged With Manslaughter Over COVID-19?
- The Trump appointee Biden needs to get rid of on day one
- Half of Trump's Post-Election Appointees Have Personal Connections to Him
- Donald Trump asked Theresa May if Britain had nuclear weapons, said invading Venezuela would be 'cool' and it was 'really part of the U.S.,' and thought Finland was in Russia, former National Security Advisor John Bolton's book reveals
- 'Rotten to the core!' Republican senator Ben Sasse slams Donald Trump's pardon spree after Roger Stone, Paul Manafort and Jared Kushner's father are given clemency with promise of more to come
- Nancy Pelosi says she wishes $600 stimulus checks were bigger but tells critics they are 'significant' as Mitch McConnell promises vote tonight on $900 billion package - which Trump will sign
- Covering The Donald Trump White House In 2020: Reporters Look Back At The Most Tumultuous Year, And What’s Ahead With Joe Biden
- Biden preaches unity, promises to address coronavirus crisis in first speech as president-elect
- Trump 'wants to appoint a special counsel to probe election fraud and Hunter Biden' after Supreme Court deals him another thumping defeat in rejecting Texas AG's bid to overturn Biden's election victory in four states
- GOP leaders demand Nancy Pelosi remove Democrat Eric Swalwell from the intelligence committee over his 'friendship' with Chinese spy Fang Fang
- 'Let's do this!': Pelosi AGREES with Trump after he threatened to VETO relief bill unless Congress increases checks from $600 to $2,000 - as Dems reveal Christmas Eve measure that will see amount boosted as long as no lawmaker objects
- Roger Stone says he found out about his pardon from watching Fox News as he thanks Donald Trump and is granted clemency along with 28 others including Paul Manafort and Jared Kushner's father who hired a prostitute to seduce his brother-in-law
Pelosi invites Trump to deliver State of the Union address in Feb, potentially amid impeachment trial have 764 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at December 21, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.