During NBC News’ special impeachment coverage, MSNBC anchor Chuck Todd declared that it’s probably been “the worst decade in American politics,” at least in his lifetime.
The conversation began when “NBC Nightly News” anchor Lester Holt claimed impeachment will be a “stain” and a “mark of shame” for President Trump going forward and will be “noted by history,” and Todd agreed with it.
“You know, I was struck both just last night and this morning how unremarkable today has suddenly felt — suddenly feels, and I say that because it is remarkable what’s happening. It is historic what’s happening, and yet, it feels like, let’s be honest, Lester, this feels like we’re coming on the air dealing with a government-shutdown threat, not impeachment,” Todd said. “The reason I say it that way is because that is how numb, I think, our politics is to what we’re facing. I mean, this should be a moment where the whole country is basically having their own gut check, where we are — we are having a national conversation trying to figure this out.”
Todd continued, “The fact that we’re not having it, that this feels like just another battle in what has been… Basically, this has probably been the worst decade in American politics, certainly in our lifetimes, Lester. Maybe the ’50s and ’60s had periods like this, but a sustained decade of decline. I mean, if you’re under the age of 30 and you’re a working adult right now, you would probably be shocked if I told you that Barack Obama held an inaugural ball in honor of John McCain, his opponent, in 2008.”
The “Meet the Press” moderator pointed to 2010 as the start of the “decline.” NewsBusters pointed out that was, perhaps coincidentally, when the Republicans took back the House of Representatives amid the rise of the Tea Party movement.
- The Memo: Trump struggles to get traction with law-and-order message
- Vindman marks 1 year since call that led to Trump's impeachment
- Trump taps ‘strong, silent type’ to lead impeachment defense
- The 55 most shocking lines from Chris Wallace's interview with Donald Trump
- Meet the Black Women Defending Trump’s Record on Race
- Meet the Republican Who Questions Trump and Never Gets Dragged
- The Best and Worst of David Brat’s ‘I Beat Eric Cantor’ Victory Lap
- The Disgrace of Donald Trump
- Why people must stop worrying that Donald Trump will delay the election
- The Trump Ship Is Sinking Fast, but How Many Rats Will Really Jump?
- Fitton: Comey FBI Leadership Sent Frantic Emails on Eve of Trump’s Inauguration
- EXCLUSIVE: How Brett Kavanaugh tried to sidestep abortion and Trump financial docs cases
- Trump and the GOP Establishment Are Falling Out of Love
- Leftists Have Been Calling to ‘Defund the Police’ for Over a Decade
- Trump trending down in key state of Pennsylvania
- Esper in crisis management mode amid turmoil of Trump's reelection campaign
- Pandemic's spread and sagging polls prompt Trump retreat
- Democrats want more money, more detail after meeting Trump team on coronavirus relief
- Trumpcare Is the Worst-Designed Social Policy in History
- Mitch McConnell slaps down Donald Trump's demand to move the election over claims of 'mail-in fraud' as Republican leaders line up against call
MSNBC's Chuck Todd on Trump impeachment inquiry: Probably marks 'worst decade in American politics' have 575 words, post on www.foxnews.com at December 18, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.