New Delhi, Nov 18: On first day of winter session of parliament, several MPs on Monday made a statement against pollution in the national capital by riding bicycles, sporting masks and even choosing electric vehicles over fuel guzzlers as they arrived for the Winter Session of Parliament.
The air quality in Delhi improved marginally on Monday but remained in the “poor” category for the second consecutive day. At 9 am on Monday, the air quality index (AQI) in the national capital stood at 207 against an AQI of 254 at the same time on Sunday.
Congress MP wears mask
Congress MP Gaurav Gogoi wore a mask as a mark of protest in front of the Mahatma Gandhi statue on the Parliament premises against rising air pollution levels.
BJP MP opts for bicycle
BJP MP Mansukh Mandaviya reached Parliament riding a bicycle and so did his party colleague Manoj Tiwari.
Prakash Javadekar arrives in electric car
Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar arrived at Parliament in an electric car.
“The government is gradually switching to electric cars as they are pollution-free. I appeal to people to contribute to fight pollution- start using public transport, electric vehicles etc”, he told reporters.
Sky is now clear, says Kejriwal
There is no need for the odd-even road rationing scheme as the pollution levels in the city have come down now.
“The sky is clear now, there is no need of it (scheme)”, he said in a press conference. Over 5,000 violators of the rule were fined with Rs 4,000 each during the scheme.
with PTI inputs
- "No One's Dying," Says Bangladesh Coach As Players Wear Masks During Training In Delhi
- In photos: Delhi's air quality drops to severe-plus, schools shut till November 5; EPCA declares public health emergency
- 5 million children to get face masks as New Delhi battles heavy pollution
- Delhi pollution crisis prompts city-wide emergency measures
- Uber to raise fares to pay for electric cars
- It's not ideal but no one will die: Bangladesh coach on pollution in Delhi
- Bid to cut pollution in Portsmouth with new anti-idling campaign
- New Delhi choked by toxic smog, official compares it ‘gas chamber’
- Energy & Environmental Law Update May 13, 2013
- Segway Accidents In California
- Energy and Environment Update, February 19, 2012
- Energy and Environment Law and Regulatory Update - April 24, 2012
- Trump doubles down on his criticism of California amid wildfires
- Rep. Adam Schiff: Trump response to California fires show 'how little he understands the job'
- Interior secretary says environmentalists prefer burning forests to managing them
- Planters at end of JoCo streets cause big stir: Are they hazards or things of beauty?
- Planters at end of JoCo streets cause big stir: Are they hazards or safety features?
- Energy and Environment Law Update: October 21, 2012
- Energy & Environmental Law Update -- September 22, 2014
- Is £300m Yorkshire HS2 parkway station about to hit the buffers?
Winter Session: MP's ride bicycles, wear masks, drive e-cars to highlight air pollution have 801 words, post on www.oneindia.com at November 18, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.