Pakistan has offered rare backing to Turkey in its offensive against Kurdish forces in Syria, with Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan expected to visit Islamabad later this month.Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan, called Erdogan on Friday to “convey Pakistan’s support and solidarity,” his office said.“The Prime Minister told him that Pakistan fully understands Turkey’s concerns relating to terrorism,” it said, adding “Pakistan is fully cognizant of the threats and challenges being faced by Turkey having lost 40,000 of its people to terrorism”. Also Read Turkish forces intensify bombardment around Syrian town “We pray that Turkey’s efforts for enhanced security, regional stability and peaceful resolution of the Syrian situation are fully successful,” Mr. Khan was quoted as saying.Turkey on Wednesday launched an offensive in northern Syria targeting the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, a key US ally in the five-year battle to crush the Islamic State group. The SDF lost 11,000 fighters in the US-led campaign.It is Turkey’s third such operation since the start of the war in Syria and has been met with international condemnation.Mr. Khan’s office said Erdogan would visit Pakistan later this month. Also Read In response to possible U.S. sanctions, Turkey says it will retaliate President Donald Trump… Read full this story
- US military officials in Turkey for Syria 'safe zone' talks
- Pakistan and Turkey: A comparative study in Islamism and authoritarianism
- Russia accused of striking US-backed forces in Syria
- Turkey's Syria offensive aimed at Kurdish YPG
- Turkish tanks clash with Kurd-backed forces in Syria, monitor group reports
- US-backed SDF captures Syria's largest oil field from 'Islamic State'
- US-backed forces in Syria breach Raqqa's old city wall
- Internal criticism of Turkey's Syria invasion
- Steinberg: 'It's easy to travel to Syria'
- Turkey, Long a Haven for Syrian Refugees, Is Sending Them Home
Pakistan backs Turkey’s offensive against Syria have 294 words, post on www.thehindu.com at October 12, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.