KABUL: China has invited a Taliban delegation to attend an “intra-Afghan” conference in Beijing, a militant spokesman said on Wednesday (Oct 23), after a prospective deal between the United States and the insurgents collapsed last month.Suhail Shaheen, a Taliban political spokesman, said on Twitter that Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, the group’s co-founder, had met with Chinese diplomats in Doha, where the militants have a political office.”Both sides discussed the upcoming intra-Afghan conference in Beijing and issues related to the solution of Afghan problem,” Shaheen wrote.He later told AFP the conference would take place Oct 29-30.It would be separate from talks between the US and the Taliban, which spent the past year negotiating a deal that would have seen the Pentagon pull thousands of troops from Afghanistan in return for various security guarantees.President Donald Trump scrapped those talks last month amid continued Taliban violence in Afghanistan, including a bombing that killed an American soldier.The deal would have paved the way for separate talks between the Taliban and the Afghan government to search for an end to the conflict.The Taliban have steadfastly refused to talk to the government, and Shaheen said any attendance by Afghan officials in Beijing would be on the understanding they… Read full this story
- U.S special envoy congratulates Afghan leaders on 'inclusive' team for Taliban talks
- Taliban say progress made at Afghan talks in Moscow but no breakthrough
- At least 27 Afghan security personnel killed in Taliban assaults
- Ashraf Ghani's running-mate wounded in Kabul blast as Afghan election campaign begins
- Coronavirus lockdown: PM Modi holds video-conference with 130 Indian missions abroad on COVID-19
- What happened in tonight’s government coronavirus press conference?
- More Beijing-bound flights diverted to stem imported COVID-19 cases
- FBI Warns of 'Zoom-Bombing,' Where Hackers Hijack Video Conferences After Two Schools Affected
- Zoombombing: Just who is listening to your video conference call?
- Will Afghanistan become a casualty of America's battle with coronavirus?
Beijing to host 'intra-Afghan' conference: Taliban have 329 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at October 23, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.