A HUGE blaze has ripped through an entire four-storey block of flats in Worcester Park this morning.
But how did it start and have there been any deaths? Here’s the latest.
More than 100 firefighters are battling a huge blaze as it tears through an entire block of flats in South West London.
Dramatic pictures show the devastated four-storey wooden-clad building engulfed in flames in Worcester Park, Sutton.
Crews were called to Sherbrooke Way at around 1.30am this morning after dozens of people reported seeing flames and thick, black smoke.
Around 125 firefighters and 25 engines had been deployed to the scene as of 2am this morning, London Fire Brigade said.
Part of the ground, first, second and third floors of the building and most of the roof are alight.
The cause of the blaze is not yet known.
The estate where the fire broke out, The Hamptons, was completed in 2010 and was built on the site of a former sewerage works.
Detached homes in the development have sold for more than £1million.
What have officials said?
Station Manager Graham Adams, who was at the scene, said: “This is a challenging fire and firefighters are working hard to bring the blaze under control.
“Firefighters will remain on scene for a number of hours and we would urge people to avoid the area if possible.”
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Twenty fire engines and around 125 firefighters have been called to a fire at a flat in Sherbrooke Way in Worcester Park.
“Part of the ground, first, second and third floors of the building and most of the roof of the building are alight.
“The Brigade’s 999 control officers have taken 28 calls to the fire.
“The Brigade was called at 01:27am.
“Fire crews from New Malden, Sutton, Mitcham, Surbiton, Wimbledon, Kingston, Wallington and other surrounding fire stations are at the scene.
“The cause of the fire is not known at this stage.”
CBBC star, 16, hanged herself after ‘suffering exam stress & being grounded’
boris shuts up shop
Parliament to shut down TONIGHT for 5 weeks after crunch election vote
BEAST IS BACK
Coldest winter in 30 YEARS on way as Beast from the East to bring -14C lows
Fresh Prince of Bel Air actor John Wesley dies at 72 after cancer battle
Love Island’s Bethany Rogers faces jail after being caught with ketamine
‘CAN’T SWING A CAT’
Family-of-7 live in single hotel room after eviction from council flat
Were there any deaths?
A London Fire Brigade spokesman said at just after 6am on Monday that there are “currently no reports of injuries”.
Authorities said that firefighters are expected to remain at the scene for the rest of the day after the blaze ripped through all four storeys of the building.
A London Ambulance Service spokesman said: “We were called at 1:34am today (9 September) to reports of a fire at a residential address on Sherbrooke Way, Worcester Park.
“We sent an incident response officer, an ambulance crew, two medics in cars and our hazardous area response team (HART).
“We have not treated any patients however we remain on the scene as a precaution.”
Locals from the surrounding area have launched a Crowdfunding page to raise money for the residents affected by the blaze.
So far, more than £1,500 has been raised out of the £5,000.
- Will Schlitterbahn open this year? The KCK water park still isn’t saying
- More parking coming in Fresno airport expansion. Will new airlines be coming, too?
- Will Sacramento Zoo move from its Land Park home? It could
- Kate Spade's father reveals his last conversation with his daughter the night before her death
- German tourist trampled to death by elephant in Zimbabwe
- Long-awaited Quarry Park Adventures in Rocklin opens this Saturday
- Driving to the airport over the holidays? Here’s advice to avoid a parking surprise
- Man avoids prison for causing road death of vintage tractor driver Victor Wylie
- Jodie Chesney: Dagenham Scout leader pays tribute to teenager stabbed to death in park
- Rocklin quietly ended contract with Quarry Park Adventures’ operator. What’s next for park?