Sep 19, 10:09 AM EDT Newsletter Signup BusinessTechnologyWorldNationalMedia & CultureOpinionSportsLuxury World By AFP News 09/19/19 AT 9:49 AM The United States on Thursday accused Afghanistan’s government of failing to fight corruption and cut more than $160 million in direct funding, little over a week before the country’s elections.”We stand against those who exploit their positions of power and influence to deprive the Afghan people of the benefits of foreign assistance and a more prosperous future,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement.Pompeo said that the United States was suspending work with the Afghan body in charge of monitoring corruption as it is “incapable of being a partner.””We expect the Afghan government to demonstrate a clear commitment to fight corruption, to serve the Afghan people and to maintain their trust,” he said.”Afghan leaders who fail to meet this standard should be held accountable.”Pompeo said the United States was taking back $100 million committed for a major energy project, saying that Washington would instead fund it directly rather than sending the money to Afghan authorities.He also said the United States would withhold $60 million in planned assistance to Afghanistan’s procurement authority.While Washington has long complained of graft in Afghanistan, the… Read full this story
- Taliban launch attacks as Afghan govt ceasefire starts
- Fact check: Why Trump's sudden fixation on 'investigating corruption' doesn't add up
- Ukraine PM seeks to sack anti-corruption finance minister
- Lawyers call for strike over 'relentless legal aid cuts'
- Giuliani Plays Down Role in Proposed Ukraine Statement on Corruption
- International donors promise 8bn euros aid to Lebanon
- US wasted $15.5bn of taxpayer money in Afghanistan – govt watchdog
- Hit By Criminal Accusations, World Amateur Boxing Chief Fights To Clear His Name
- Aid conference for DR Congo expected to draw $530 mn in pledges: UN
- Father accused of 'sadistically torturing' ten children found living amid human faeces and rotten food
US Accuses Afghan Govt Of Not Fighting Corruption, Cuts Aid have 302 words, post on www.ibtimes.com at September 19, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.