The U.S. special envoy for Ukraine, Kurt Volker, resigned Friday amid a formal impeachment inquiry of President Donald Trump and his dealings with the Ukraine government, according to two people with knowledge of the matter. Rudy Giuliani, Trump’s personal lawyer, said Thursday that Volker had encouraged him to speak to Ukranian officials regarding former Vice President Joe Biden and his family. In the complaint that sparked the impeachment inquiry, a whistleblower said that the day after Trump’s July call with Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, Volker traveled to the Ukrainian capital to meet with the leader. Download the NBC News appfor full coverage of the impeachment inquiry The complaint centers on that phone call, in which Trump implores Zelenskiy to look into the Bidens and says the Trump White House sought to put a record of the call on “lock down.” Volker has not responded to requests for comment from NBC News on Friday. The State Department is also not yet commenting. One of the people with knowledge of the matter said that Volker stepping down from the position will enable him to be much freer in what he can say if he is called to testify before Congress. On Friday,… Read full this story
- Still no sign of Washington special envoy
- US government is 'reviewing some names' for position of special envoy to Northern Ireland
- South Korea's spy chief to visit North as special envoy: report
- China to send special envoy Song Tao to North Korea
- UN envoys take on mission impossible
- Trump told U.S. envoy that Ukraine was full of 'terrible people' who 'tried to take me down'
- Trump administration considers appointing envoy to Northern Ireland
- Aides Urge Trump to Expel Russian Envoys Over U.K. Attack
- U.S., Allies Expel More Than 100 Russian Envoys for U.K. Attack
- US envoy for North Korea says military option ‘not close’
U.S. special envoy to Ukraine resigns have 318 words, post on www.euronews.com at September 27, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.