The U.S. special envoy for Ukraine, Kurt Volker, resigned Friday amid a formal impeachment inquiry of President Donald Trump and his dealings with the Ukraine government, according to two people with knowledge of the matter.
Rudy Giuliani, Trump’s personal lawyer, said Thursday that Volker had encouraged him to speak to Ukranian officials regarding former Vice President Joe Biden and his family.
In the complaint that sparked the impeachment inquiry, a whistleblower said that the day after Trump’s July call with Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, Volker traveled to the Ukrainian capital to meet with the leader.
Download the NBC News appfor full coverage of the impeachment inquiry
Volker has not responded to requests for comment from NBC News on Friday. The State Department is also not yet commenting.
One of the people with knowledge of the matter said that Volker stepping down from the position will enable him to be much freer in what he can say if he is called to testify before Congress.
On Friday, three House committees conducting the impeachment inquiry sent a letter to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo notifying him that multiple officials under his charge, including Volker, are subject to depositions before Congress.
Volker’s deposition was scheduled for Oct. 3, although it was not clear if he would participate.
The letter, signed by U.S. Reps. Eliot L. Engel, D-New York, Rep. Adam Schiff, D-California, and Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, D-Maryland, states that Volker “played a direct role in arranging meetings between Rudy Giuliani, who has no official role in the U.S. government, and representatives of President Zelensky.”
- Former Philippine President quits as special envoy to China
- Party leader meets Cuban special envoy
- U.S. special envoy meets with S Korea's chief nuclear negotiator
- Lao leaders receive Vietnamese Party chief’s special envoy
- Moroccan Special Envoy welcomed in Hanoi
- Party leader Trong greets special envoy from Cuba
- Vietnam leaders' special envoy visits China
- Special envoy: VN respects Sudan's political process
- Special envoy of Swedish PM welcomed in Hanoi
- N. Korea sends military leader as 'special envoy' to China
- UN Secretary- General special envoy praises Viet Nam's efforts in HIV/AIDS control
- Australian Prime Minister's Special Envoy visits Vietnam
- Actor named Japan - ASEAN special envoy
- Philippine President’s special envoy visits China
- Bhutani PM’s Special Envoy visits Vietnam
- Party chief’s special envoy welcomed in Cambodia
- Deputy PM recieves Australian special envoy
- Vietnam special envoy hold talks with China
- WB special envoy on climate change visits Vietnam
- Vietnam respects Sudan’s political process: special envoy
U.S. special envoy to Ukraine resigns have 444 words, post on www.euronews.com at September 27, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.