The U.S. special envoy for Ukraine, Kurt Volker, resigned Friday amid a formal impeachment inquiry of President Donald Trump and his dealings with the Ukraine government, according to two people with knowledge of the matter.
Rudy Giuliani, Trump’s personal lawyer, said Thursday that Volker had encouraged him to speak to Ukranian officials regarding former Vice President Joe Biden and his family.
In the complaint that sparked the impeachment inquiry, a whistleblower said that the day after Trump’s July call with Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, Volker traveled to the Ukrainian capital to meet with the leader.
Download the NBC News appfor full coverage of the impeachment inquiry
Volker has not responded to requests for comment from NBC News on Friday. The State Department is also not yet commenting.
One of the people with knowledge of the matter said that Volker stepping down from the position will enable him to be much freer in what he can say if he is called to testify before Congress.
On Friday, three House committees conducting the impeachment inquiry sent a letter to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo notifying him that multiple officials under his charge, including Volker, are subject to depositions before Congress.
Volker’s deposition was scheduled for Oct. 3, although it was not clear if he would participate.
The letter, signed by U.S. Reps. Eliot L. Engel, D-New York, Rep. Adam Schiff, D-California, and Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, D-Maryland, states that Volker “played a direct role in arranging meetings between Rudy Giuliani, who has no official role in the U.S. government, and representatives of President Zelensky.”
- The Case For Arming Ukraine So It Can Stand Up To Russia
- U.N. Syria envoy to meet Turkey, Iran and Russia foreign ministers as ceasefire due to expire
- People Of Ukraine Invade Presidential Estate, Admire Car Collection
- Ukraine Update #4: Are Russia And Ukraine Already At War?
- Ukraine's Testing Missiles Near Russia's Turf And Moscow Doesn't Like It
- Ukraine's New Unmanned 'Phantom' Ground Vehicle Aims To Bust Russian Tanks
- How Poor Is Ukraine? Their Top Selling Car Is Chinese
- Ukraine testimony: What's been said so far, and what could trip up the Democrats
- Trump Campaign Chairman Paul Manafort Resigns Amid Reports of Incredibly Sketchy Pro-Russian Ties
- China-India Ties Beyond Bilateral, Have Far-Reaching Strategic Significance: Chinese Envoy Sun Weidong