The U.S. special envoy for Ukraine, Kurt Volker, resigned Friday amid a formal impeachment inquiry of President Donald Trump and his dealings with the Ukraine government, according to two people with knowledge of the matter. Rudy Giuliani, Trump’s personal lawyer, said Thursday that Volker had encouraged him to speak to Ukranian officials regarding former Vice President Joe Biden and his family. In the complaint that sparked the impeachment inquiry, a whistleblower said that the day after Trump’s July call with Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, Volker traveled to the Ukrainian capital to meet with the leader. Download the NBC News app for full coverage of the impeachment inquiry The complaint centers on that phone call, in which Trump implores Zelenskiy to look into the Bidens and says the Trump White House sought to put a record of the call on “lock down.” Volker has not responded to requests for comment from NBC News on Friday. The State Department is also not yet commenting. One of the people with knowledge of the matter said that Volker stepping down from the position will enable him to be much freer in what he can say if he is called to testify before Congress. On… Read full this story
- Take a deep breath and learn about the latest in the impeachment inquiry
- Take a deep breath and learn about the latest breaking news in the impeachment inquiry
- State papers: Ex-US President Carter mooted as potential special envoy to Northern Ireland
- Health project board chief resigns amid children’s hospital controversy
- Czaputowicz: Ukraine needs special Envoy of UN Secretary-General
- Turkish FM meets Crimean Tatar leader, UN special envoy
- Somalia Foreign Ministry Declares UN Special Envoy 'Persona Non-Grata'
- AA: Turkish Cypriot leader meets UN special envoy
- Special Envoy Hints U.S. Could Revoke Visas Of Iranian Officials' Kin
- Jaroslav Míl appointed Special Envoy for Nuclear Energy
U.S. special envoy to Ukraine resigns amid impeachment inquiry have 316 words, post on www.nbcnews.com at September 27, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.