The U.S. special envoy for Ukraine, Kurt Volker, resigned Friday amid a formal impeachment inquiry of President Donald Trump and his dealings with the Ukraine government, according to two people with knowledge of the matter. Rudy Giuliani, Trump’s personal lawyer, said Thursday that Volker had encouraged him to speak to Ukranian officials regarding former Vice President Joe Biden and his family. In the complaint that sparked the impeachment inquiry, a whistleblower said that the day after Trump’s July call with Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, Volker traveled to the Ukrainian capital to meet with the leader. Download the NBC News app for full coverage of the impeachment inquiry The complaint centers on that phone call, in which Trump implores Zelenskiy to look into the Bidens and says the Trump White House sought to put a record of the call on “lock down.” Volker has not responded to requests for comment from NBC News on Friday. The State Department is also not yet commenting. One of the people with knowledge of the matter said that Volker stepping down from the position will enable him to be much freer in what he can say if he is called to testify before Congress. On… Read full this story
- Can America still promote democracy? Yes, and it should start with Ukraine
- ‘I'm Involved Right Now’: Rudy Giuliani Reportedly Working on Trump's Senate Impeachment Defence
- House to vote on Trump's impeachment today: Update on voting time, what it means, what's next
- Trump impeachment process happening now in the House: Update on vote time, what's next
- Biden avoids firm position on Trump impeachment as House Dems ramp up
- McConnell believes Trump committed impeachable offenses, supports Democrats' impeachment efforts: report
- In the Crosshairs: Trump Reportedly Focusing on Republicans Who Crossed Party Lines on Impeachment
- House Introduces Article of Impeachment: Live Updates
- ‘Offended’ Trump Reportedly Told Aides to Forgo Paying Rudy Giuliani Legal Fees Amid 'Frayed Ties'
- Donald Trump DENIES all responsibility for MAGA riot saying speech to mob was 'totally appropriate' and accuses Democrats of 'causing tremendous danger' by impeaching him
U.S. special envoy to Ukraine resigns amid impeachment inquiry have 339 words, post on www.nbcnews.com at September 27, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.