The U.S. special envoy for Ukraine, Kurt Volker, resigned Friday amid a formal impeachment inquiry of President Donald Trump and his dealings with the Ukraine government, according to two people with knowledge of the matter. Rudy Giuliani, Trump’s personal lawyer, said Thursday that Volker had encouraged him to speak to Ukranian officials regarding former Vice President Joe Biden and his family. In the complaint that sparked the impeachment inquiry, a whistleblower said that the day after Trump’s July call with Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, Volker traveled to the Ukrainian capital to meet with the leader. Download the NBC News app for full coverage of the impeachment inquiry The complaint centers on that phone call, in which Trump implores Zelenskiy to look into the Bidens and says the Trump White House sought to put a record of the call on “lock down.” Volker has not responded to requests for comment from NBC News on Friday. The State Department is also not yet commenting. One of the people with knowledge of the matter said that Volker stepping down from the position will enable him to be much freer in what he can say if he is called to testify before Congress. On… Read full this story
- Mick Mulvaney resigns from Trump administration: 'I can't stay here'
- Democrats WILL move to impeach Trump next week if Pence or the Cabinet refuse to use 25th Amendment to remove him from office, says House assistant Speaker Katherine Clarke
- 'Deeply troubled' Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao - who is married to Mitch McConnell - RESIGNS over MAGA riot becoming first Cabinet member to quit
- No One Can Defend Trump After Seeing Ukraine Call Memo
- Donald Trump Impeached By House; Nancy Pelosi Won’t Say When Articles Will Be Sent To Senate – Update
- Betsy DeVos Resigns as Pressure Builds on Cabinet to Remove Trump
- Some Trump administration officials resign while others stay to prevent chaos
- Absolutely No Reason to be Talking About Impeaching Trump, Security Expert Says
- All the Trump officials who have resigned after the DC protest at the Capitol
- US House Democrats Push for Trump's Impeachment
U.S. special envoy to Ukraine resigns amid impeachment inquiry have 344 words, post on www.nbcnews.com at September 27, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.