U.S. Special Envoy for Ukraine Kurt Volker resigned from his position Friday after his name appeared in the whistleblower complaint that precipitated the House of Representatives’ impeachment inquiry into President Trump, CBS News confirms, according to two sources familiar with his decision.
The complaint alleges that Volker went to Kiev in late July and met with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and other Ukrainian political figures and “reportedly provided advice to the Ukrainian leadership about how to ‘navigate’ the demands that the President had made of Mr. Zelenskyy.”
Three House committees have scheduled a deposition with Volker regarding the whistleblower complaint.
The whistleblower complaint focuses on a call Mr. Trump made to the president of Ukraine in July, during which he asked Zelensky to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and his son, Hunter Biden, who sat on the board of a Ukrainian natural gas company.
Arizona State University’s student newspaper, The State Press, first reported Volker’s resignation. ASU reported that Volker met with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to inform him that he’d be leaving the post.
Reporting by Christina Ruffini
- Special Envoy to Restive Myanmar Draws Mixed Reception
- Trump, Ukraine and Impeachment: The Inside Story of How We Got Here
- Law student takes Facebook to court for 'censoring' three social media posts naming the alleged Ukrainian Trump whistleblower
- Gordon Sondland, E.U. Envoy, Testifies Trump Delegated Ukraine Policy to Giuliani
- Ukrainian president thought only Trump's side of conversation would be released, says such calls "should not be published"
- Sondland Kept Pompeo Informed on Ukraine Pressure Campaign
- Past Corruption Overshadows Ukraine’s Oil And Gas Industry
- Could Ukraine-Russia border tension escalate into a fresh conflict?
- Jim Mattis' resignation left the Pentagon eerie and depressed: report
- 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed SMILES and waves during his first appearance in the Guantanamo Bay court in 500 days
- Ukraine’s Zelensky Bowed to Trump’s Demands, Until Luck Spared Him
- Why Washington is keeping Ukraine at a cordial distance
- Immigrant Children Were Burned With Scalding Water And Threatened At An Emergency Shelter, A Whistleblower Said
- Biden Affirms Support Against ‘Russian Aggression’ in Meeting With Ukraine’s Leader
- Biden Screamed At In New Jersey: You ‘Leave Americans Behind,’ ‘Resign You Tyrant,’ ‘Go Home’
- Mali's President Announces Resignation to Avoid 'Bloodshed' After Rebel Troops Launch Coup
- Russia-Ukraine Fight Over Narrow Sea Passage Risks Wider War
- Biden to speak with New York's Hochul in coming days
- Biden Admin Lost Contact With ‘Thousands’ Of Migrant Kids, Feds Investigating Whether Teen Migrants Were Released To Traffickers
- Prince Andrew gives up trade envoy role
U.S. special envoy to Ukraine resigns a day after whistleblower complaint was released have 412 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at September 27, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.