As House Democrats find themselves once more navigating the tricky politics of impeachment, a new idea is being floated: creating a select panel of members that would handle those responsibilities. A senior Democratic aide tells The Daily Beast that the idea of a select panel has “been raised by some members” as a way to consolidate impeachment proceedings around Donald Trump. “No decisions have been made,” the aide said. “We understand some members may endorse this publicly. The caucus will make these decisions.” Though talk of impeachment has ramped up after reports that Trump pressured the president of Ukraine to investigate business dealings involving former Vice President Joe Biden’s son Hunter, the idea of a special committee to handle an impeachment inquiry has been floating on Capitol Hill in earnest since at least July, according to one House Democratic aide. One senior pro-impeachment Democratic operative said the idea of a select panel “had merit” in that it would mark an aggressive step forward for the party while potentially giving some distance to those Democratic members on the Judiciary Committee and elsewhere who remain uncomfortable with forcing the matter. Under House rules, Speaker Nancy Pelosi would have power to appoint not… Read full this story
- 2nd whistleblower ‘comes forward’ with more Ukrainegate ‘proof’ in Trump impeachment saga – report
- Here's what happened this week in the impeachment inquiry
- AP Sources: Trump Allies Pressed Ukraine Over Gas Firm
- Donald Trump has a baffling approach to foreign affairs – here’s how the rest of the world must adapt
- Who is Rod Rosenstein and what would his firing mean for the Trump-Russia investigation?
- After the Ukraine call, many world leaders may duck dealing with Trump
- Opinion: After the Ukraine call, many world leaders may duck dealing with Trump
- What happens if Donald Trump is impeached and who would be the next president?
- Trump allies fret over West Wing vacancies as threats loom
- Newt Gingrich offers impeachment advice to Trump
Trump Impeachment: House Dems Are Discussing a ‘Select Panel’ to Handle the Task have 319 words, post on www.thedailybeast.com at September 24, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.