As House Democrats find themselves once more navigating the tricky politics of impeachment, a new idea is being floated: creating a select panel of members that would handle those responsibilities. A senior Democratic aide tells The Daily Beast that the idea of a select panel has “been raised by some members” as a way to consolidate impeachment proceedings around Donald Trump. “No decisions have been made,” the aide said. “We understand some members may endorse this publicly. The caucus will make these decisions.” Though talk of impeachment has ramped up after reports that Trump pressured the president of Ukraine to investigate business dealings involving former Vice President Joe Biden’s son Hunter, the idea of a special committee to handle an impeachment inquiry has been floating on Capitol Hill in earnest since at least July, according to one House Democratic aide. One senior pro-impeachment Democratic operative said the idea of a select panel “had merit” in that it would mark an aggressive step forward for the party while potentially giving some distance to those Democratic members on the Judiciary Committee and elsewhere who remain uncomfortable with forcing the matter. Under House rules, Speaker Nancy Pelosi would have power to appoint not… Read full this story
- Trump impeachment signed off by Nancy Pelosi and delivered to Senate for historic trial after House vote
- U.S. House sends Trump impeachment charges to Senate for trial
- Trump told House Republicans that he made Ukraine call because of Perry: Report
- House Dems to outline case for removing Trump from office
- 5 Things to Know About Jay Sekulow as Donald Trump Impeachment Trial Kicks Off
- Tom Del Beccaro: In Trump impeachment, Dems commit malpractice – wrongly expect Senate to do job of House
- Trump legal team member blasts House Dems for trying to put the impeachment jurors 'on trial'
- Who are the Trump impeachment managers? Meet Pelosi's hand-picked prosecutors
- Pelosi hands out commemorative pens as House transmits Trump impeachment articles to Senate
- Donald Trump impeachment trial to begin with rules fight, long days
Trump Impeachment: House Dems Are Discussing a ‘Select Panel’ to Handle the Task have 328 words, post on www.thedailybeast.com at September 24, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.