Darlene Zimmerman Henry Ford Health System Published 10:00 AM EDT Sep 20, 2019 The Dietary Guidelines for Americans, updated every five years, encourages people to adopt a series of healthy eating habits to reduce obesity and prevent chronic diseases such as heart disease, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. One recommendation that has remained a constant is to consume a variety of vegetables. Current guidelines encourage adults to consume at least 2 ½ cups of vegetables every day, including dark green, red and orange, legumes (beans and peas), and other vegetables. Today’s spinach salad offers a delicious way to get in a dark green vegetable. Packed with vitamins C and K, folate, potassium and fiber, spinach is also an exceptionally rich source of three carotenoids – beta-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin. All three of these nutrients support eye health. Carotenoids from food, not supplements, are thought to help protect against heart disease and certain forms of cancer. Maximize the body’s absorption of carotenoids from food by adding a little fat. The olive oil in today’s dressing does the trick. Baby spinach has become increasingly popular. Its delicate, tender leaves and milder, less bitter flavor make this leafy green the perfect choice for… Read full this story
- 7 of the best foods to help boost your heart health
- 7 great foods for boosting heart health
- Multivitamins a waste of money for heart health, researchers say
- Buy more vegetables instead of omega-3 supplements to improve heart health, report says
- Omega-3 and fish extracts don’t help your heart health, researchers claim
- Vegan protein from nuts and seeds better for heart health than meat, study finds
- Nutrition: Four of the best foods that can help boost your heart health
- 5 Benefits Of Eating Eggs, From Heart Health To Muscle Repair
- Forget Omega 3 Supplements, Here’s What You Should Be Eating For Heart Health
- Could coffee perk up your heart health?
This salad is packed with vitamins good for eye and heart health have 315 words, post on eu.freep.com at September 20, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.