0 Have your say Scotland’s birthrate in the second quarter of the year was the lowest since records began in 1885, prompting Holyrood ministers to issue a fresh reminder of the importance of migration to the country. In the three months from April-June, there were 12,253 births registered north of the Border – a drop of 5.4 per cent from the same period last year.Registrars said today there was no single reason for the fall in the number of births. It speculated that causes may include the postponement of childbearing until older ages and economic uncertainty influencing decisions around childbearing – particularly given that the beginning of the recent fall coincided with the financial crash a decade ago.Despite the birthrate being at an historic low, the country’s population is 5.4 million – the highest on record. But this growth has been fuelled by people generally living longer and migration from overseas and elsewhere in the UK. Scotland – like many other European nations – has an ageing population. The Scottish Government has long been concerned that if migration to the UK is cut post-Brexit, Scotland’s population will drop in the long-term.READ MORE: Will Scotland’s population shrink without its own migration… Read full this story
- New cases of HIV in the UK are at their LOWEST levels since 2000
- Unemployment in Wales at the lowest level 'since records began'
- New HIV diagnoses at lowest level since 2000
- Private schools' top A-level grades drop to lowest level in eight years, figures show
- Recorded crime rises one per cent but remains at second lowest level for over 40 years
- Number of EU migrants coming to UK falls to lowest level in years in the wake of Brexit vote
- Male suicide drops to lowest level in 30 years amid reduced mental health stigma
- Migration from EU to UK falls to lowest level since 2012, but international migration still above UK Govt target
- Market report: Shares struggle as sterling falls to lowest level since September
- Service sector profitability at lowest level in four years
Scotland's birthrate falls to lowest level on record have 336 words, post on www.scotsman.com at September 11, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.