James David Dickson The Detroit News
Published 10:27 AM EDT Sep 12, 2019
Detroit — A 31-year-old Detroit woman faces drunk driving and child abuse charges in a late May crash that killed one of her daughters and injured another.
On Wednesday, 31-year-old Destiny Adams was arraigned at Detroit’s 36th District Court on three felony charges: operating while intoxicated, causing death; operating while intoxicated causing serious injury; and second-degree child abuse.
The fatal crash took place at about 11:35 p.m. May 23 in the area of West Chicago and Forrer. That’s just west of Greenfield on the city’s west side.
Police say Adams’ 2008 Saturn was struck by a GMC Sierra. The driver of the Sierra, a 61-year-old man, fled the crash scene on foot but was arrested, said Cpl. Dan Donakowski, a Detroit Police Department spokesman.
That man, Donel Walker, was charged with four counts of reckless driving causing severe impairment of body functions, one count of failure to stop at the scene of a personal injury crash and operating on a suspended license.
Walker was bound over for trial in July, and has a pretrial hearing Friday. His jury trial is set to begin Oct. 7 before Judge Tracy Green.
Magistrate Laura Echartea gave Adams a bond of $30,000/10 percent. Adams remains an inmate at Wayne County Jail as of Thursday morning. She’s due back in court on Sept. 19 for a probable cause conference and on Sept. 24 for a preliminary examination, both before Judge Lynise Bryant.
If Adams posts bond, she’s prohibited from both drinking and driving. She has petitioned for a court-appointed attorney.
Killed in the crash was 3-year-old Ava Adams-Edwards. She died on May 25 of “multiple injuries,” according to the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office. Her death was an accident.
A second daughter, 10, was in critical condition. The crash took place just feet from the family’s home. Media accounts from the time indicate the family had just pulled up to the house.
- Experience A Hard Drive Crash? Learn How To Avoid Making A Bad Situation Even Worse
- Data Recovery - Hard Drive Crash? How to Recover Your Lost Data, Quickly!
- Hard Drive Crash Due to Overheating and Data Recovery
- Happy Mother's Day, Beloved Sons and Daughters!
- A Little Trick to Backing Up Your Files Free of Charge
- Safe Driving Tips For The Holiday Season
- How to Stop Drinking and Driving - DUI Arrests Not Enough
- Traffic In India: Crashes, Injuries, & Remedies
- Computer Hard Drive Recovery Ideas
- California DUI Attorney & Drunk Driving Lawyers in California