Late Friday, deputies identified 47-year-old Robert Solis as one of the suspects.
Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said Deputy Sandeep Dhaliwal “was unable to recover from his injuries” after he was shot in the back of the head during a traffic stop in northwest Harris County.
In a news conference Friday afternoon, officials described the suspected shooter simply as a Hispanic male.
According to Harris County Sheriff’s Office Maj. Mike Lee, deputies immediately checked dash cam video inside Dhaliwal’s unit to get a closer look at the suspect when they arrived on scene.
Lee says the suspect was found inside a business about a quarter of a mile away from where Dhaliwal was shot.
“A deputy observed that he looked a little nervous and put him in custody, and that did turn out to be our shooter,” Lee said.
Lee adds the weapon believed to have been used to shoot Dhaliwal was recovered in the parking lot of the business.
“I believe it was a suspect, he has a lengthy criminal history, on parole, probably knew he was going to go back to jail and did not want to go back to jail,” said Lee when asked about a possible motive. “It was senseless.”
A woman, who is believed to be a passenger in the suspect’s car, was also detained and placed into custody.
“It was a total ambush by the suspect,” Lee said. “The deputy never had a chance.”
The sheriff’s office has not released the woman’s name.
- Florida man stabbed by friend after sex, deputies say
- Man charged with murder after former Iowa State golfer found dead on course in Ames
- Relatives of Iowa man charged in golfer's death 'devastated'
- Minneapolis man charged with fatal drive-by shooting near St. Paul’s BCA headquarters
- Star Iowa State female golfer slain; man charged with murder
- Man charged in death of former Iowa State women's golfer
- Police capture wrong man in search for shooting suspect who fled courthouse
- HCSO: Man accidentally shoots self in neck outside trailer park
- DA dismissed charge against deputy
- Sheriff seeks to add psychologist to staff after string of deputy arrests
- Her relationship with a Carolina Panther began at a pool party. It ended in murder.
- Her relationship with an NFL player began at a pool party. It ended in murder.
- Morton Grove man dies following crash at Sycamore Speedway
- Morton Grove man dies after crash at Sycamore Speedway
- Man fatally struck by pickup on Northwest Side highway identified
- Man Accused Of Shooting At Deputies Charged With Attempted Murder
- Arson Spree; School Fire: Oceanside, SD County Police Log
- Party to show appreciation for fallen Wayne County deputy
- Year Later, Man Arrested For Threatening 3 People In Hall County
- Murdered Florida woman's estranged husband, in-laws arrested in connection with brutal killing
Man charged in murder of Harris County Sheriff's deputy have 660 words, post on abc13.com at September 27, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.