Late Friday, deputies identified 47-year-old Robert Solis as one of the suspects.
Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said Deputy Sandeep Dhaliwal “was unable to recover from his injuries” after he was shot in the back of the head during a traffic stop in northwest Harris County.
In a news conference Friday afternoon, officials described the suspected shooter simply as a Hispanic male.
According to Harris County Sheriff’s Office Maj. Mike Lee, deputies immediately checked dash cam video inside Dhaliwal’s unit to get a closer look at the suspect when they arrived on scene.
Lee says the suspect was found inside a business about a quarter of a mile away from where Dhaliwal was shot.
“A deputy observed that he looked a little nervous and put him in custody, and that did turn out to be our shooter,” Lee said.
Lee adds the weapon believed to have been used to shoot Dhaliwal was recovered in the parking lot of the business.
“I believe it was a suspect, he has a lengthy criminal history, on parole, probably knew he was going to go back to jail and did not want to go back to jail,” said Lee when asked about a possible motive. “It was senseless.”
A woman, who is believed to be a passenger in the suspect’s car, was also detained and placed into custody.
“It was a total ambush by the suspect,” Lee said. “The deputy never had a chance.”
The sheriff’s office has not released the woman’s name.
- Harris County Sheriff Urges Early Prisoner Relief Amid Covid-19
- Idaho man charged with 5 felonies after deputy shot, wounded
- Second Alameda County Sheriff’s Department Staffer Dies While Being Treated For COVID-19
- Sacramento County Sheriff’s Deputy Shauna Bishop Pleads Guilty To Sexual Contact With Teen
- Alameda County Sheriff Office Employee Charged With Smuggling Meth, Phone Into Santa Rita Jail
- Pickup driver attempting to pass car kills bicyclist in north Harris County, police say
- Sacramento County Sheriff’s Deputy Shot In Face Recovering In Hospital
- Bicyclist killed by driver in east Harris County, deputies say
- Judge: Thurston County Sheriff removal petition to advance
- Man charged with killing father in front of teen daughter in Magnolia
- Man charged with murdering fiancee and dog after her 11-year-old son found bodies
- Man Wanted On Outstanding Warrant Caught By Placer County Sheriff’s K-9 Axel In Loomis
- Man charged with 1973 killing of California girl dies
- Protesters Call For Justice For Man, 18, Shot And Killed By LA County Sheriff’s Deputies
- Hearing underway for Oklahoma man charged in students deaths
- Rajasthan ex-royal ‘Raja’ Man Singh murder | 11 policemen including DSP sentenced to life imprisonment
- Man accused of running over Sikh man charged with hate crime
- Former San Diego sheriff deputy pleads not guilty to murder
- 'You're Not Going Anywhere': Florida Man Charged After Illegally Detaining Teenager - Video
- 21-Year-Old Man Charged With Attempted Murder In Domestic Assault
Man charged in murder of Harris County Sheriff's deputy have 678 words, post on abc13.com at September 27, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.