Late Friday, deputies identified 47-year-old Robert Solis as one of the suspects.
Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said Deputy Sandeep Dhaliwal “was unable to recover from his injuries” after he was shot in the back of the head during a traffic stop in northwest Harris County.
In a news conference Friday afternoon, officials described the suspected shooter simply as a Hispanic male.
According to Harris County Sheriff’s Office Maj. Mike Lee, deputies immediately checked dash cam video inside Dhaliwal’s unit to get a closer look at the suspect when they arrived on scene.
Lee says the suspect was found inside a business about a quarter of a mile away from where Dhaliwal was shot.
“A deputy observed that he looked a little nervous and put him in custody, and that did turn out to be our shooter,” Lee said.
Lee adds the weapon believed to have been used to shoot Dhaliwal was recovered in the parking lot of the business.
“I believe it was a suspect, he has a lengthy criminal history, on parole, probably knew he was going to go back to jail and did not want to go back to jail,” said Lee when asked about a possible motive. “It was senseless.”
A woman, who is believed to be a passenger in the suspect’s car, was also detained and placed into custody.
“It was a total ambush by the suspect,” Lee said. “The deputy never had a chance.”
The sheriff’s office has not released the woman’s name.
- Vietnamese man found murdered in Germany
- Kansas man charged with killing Indian in possible hate crime
- Vietnamese-American man charged for shooting daughter, son in-law to death in Virginia
- Vietnam's jealous man charged with murder for acid attack on 7 people
- Rochester, N.Y., man charged with trying to help Islamic State
- Vietnamese man charged in U.S pot-growing case
- Police apprehend man for murdering boy, dumping body in river
- Vietnam police arrest man for murder during burglary
- US man charged with rape, kidnap after 10 year ordeal World news
- US man charged in foiled New York bomb plot