BEIJING: China on Wednesday (Sep 11) said it would spare a number of US products from punitive tariffs in what is seen as an olive branch by Beijing in the protracted trade war ahead of high-level talks next month.However, the goods do not include big-ticket agricultural items that could be crucial to the ultimate success of any agreement between the two sides, whose stand-off is dragging on the global economy.The exemptions will become effective on Sep 17 and be valid for a year, according to the Customs Tariff Commission of the State Council, which released two lists that include seafood products and anti-cancer drugs.The lists mark the first time Beijing has announced products to be excluded from tariffs.Other categories that will become exempt include alfalfa pellets, fish feed, medical linear accelerators and mould release agents, while the commission said it was also considering further exemptions.Trade negotiators have said they will meet in Washington in early October, raising hopes for an easing of tensions between the world’s two biggest economies.Both sides imposed fresh tit-for-tat tariffs on Sep 1 in the latest round of levies, which now cover goods worth hundreds of billions of dollars.”These adjustments signal that China is more willing… Read full this story
- U.S. to Put Tariffs on Europe Planes, Whiskey After WTO Ruling
- Opinion: Americans are about to feel the burden of Trump's tariffs
- US spares Apple and Fitbit from new China tariffs
- US tariffs on laptops and phones pushed out until December
- Trump threatens to tariff EU cheese, wine, helicopters, over Airbus subsidies
- DealBook Briefing: Europe Deals a Big Blow to Facebook
- Fact check: Trump invented imaginary CNN studio, made 58 other false claims last week - CNN
- Ford's Done Advertising Sedans
- In Gettysburg speech, Trump made 100 days of promises. Did he keep them?
- Letters: Nation should follow Indiana's lead on taxes
China removes several US products from tariffs list have 314 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at September 11, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.