PHNOM PENH: Cambodian authorities arrested six political activists over the weekend for alleged plots to rally in support of former opposition politician Sam Rainsy if he returns from exile as planned in November, police said on Monday (Sep 16).The latest arrests bring to 26 the number of activists for the banned opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) who have been detained this year.Critics have called Cambodia essentially a one-party state since the Supreme Court dissolved the CNRP in late 2017, months before elections last year in which longtime Prime Minister Hun Sen’s party won all of the seats in parliament.The European Union then warned that it may strip Cambodia of its “Everything but Arms” duty-free trading access.The CNRP leader, Kem Sokha, has been detained for two years, the past year under house arrest, while awaiting trial on charges of plotting to overthrow the government.CNRP founder Sam Rainsy has said he will return to Cambodia on Nov 9, four years after fleeing to France following a conviction for criminal defamation in which he was ordered to pay US$1 million in compensation. He also faces a five-year prison sentence in a separate case.Cambodian police spokesman Chhay Kim Khoeun said 26 CNRP activists had… Read full this story
- RCMP arrest two in alleged plot to derail VIA Rail train
- Australian Fortnite player arrested after streaming alleged domestic abuse
- Montreal police see rise in hate speech complaints, arrest man for alleged social media posts
- 'I have a sugar daddy ad - someone responded': Moment obese truck driver and accused predator is arrested after he 'drove for an hour to meet a 14-year-old girl for sex'
- Four California men arrested for 'planning to join al-Qaeda prepared for jihad against Americans' by training at paintball range
- Woman, 29, is arrested after allegedly trying to frame older lady for harassment by sending herself death threats in bizarre revenge plot
- Man Arrested For Assaulting East Bridgewater Police Officer
- Men who 'bashed Victoria's top transport safety cop after being kicked off a train' are arrested
- Bangladesh PM Hasina wins thumping victory in elections opposition reject as 'farcical'
- Chinese state newspaper is blasted for claiming that Hong Kong protesters will stage a '9/11 terror plot' with a photo of the burning Twin Towers in a social media post
Cambodia arrests more opposition activists over alleged plots have 382 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at September 16, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.