Sep 14, 9:03 AM EDT Newsletter Signup BusinessTechnologyWorldNationalMedia & CultureOpinionSportsLuxury World By Susan Njanji and Beatrice Debut 09/14/19 AT 8:51 AM Zimbabwe gave former leader Robert Mugabe a state funeral on Saturday with African leaders paying tribute to a man they lauded as a liberation hero but whose 37-year rule was defined by repression and economic turmoil.Mugabe, who died in Singapore last week aged 95, left Zimbabwe deeply divided over his legacy with his country still struggling with high inflation and shortages of goods after decades of crisis.He died on an overseas medical trip almost two years after former army loyalists forced him out in 2017, following a power struggle over what was widely perceived as a bid to position his wife Grace as his successor.Former and current African leaders, including South Africa’s Cyril Ramaphosa and Kenya’s Uhuru Kenyatta, arrived to crowds chanting and drumming liberation songs at the less than half-filled 60,000-seat national stadium in Harare.Mugabe’s casket, draped in the green, black, gold and red Zimbabwe flag, was marched slowly into the stadium, accompanied by a military band and an escort of officers. His wife Grace, in a black veil, and family followed behind.African leaders and officials from Cuba,… Read full this story
- Robert Mugabe, Former President of Zimbabwe, Dead at 95
- The despot who destroyed a nation: How Robert Mugabe turned from a revered freedom fighter who loved Britain into a bloodthirsty tyrant who murdered thousands and left Zimbabwe on its knees
- Global leaders, tycoons flock to Saudi 'Davos in desert'
- Zimbabwe soldiers are clearing the streets as tensions grow following election
- Zimbabwe’s first lady denies assault, says model attacked her with a knife: court document
- Zimbabwe’s army takes control of Harare, says President Mugabe is ‘safe’
- Robert Mugabe, Longtime Zimbabwe Leader, Dies at 95
- Zimbabwe’s government faces off against its tech community over internet restrictions
- Zimbabwe’s President Robert Mugabe meets with army commander amid political turmoil
- Zimbabwe army signals split with Mugabe over firing of vice-president
African Leaders Laud Mugabe At State Funeral In Divided Zimbabwe have 327 words, post on www.ibtimes.com at September 14, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.