NAIROBI, Sept. 4 (Xinhua) — The first round of Confederation of African Football (CAF) qualifiers for the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar will feature 28 teams competing for 14 slots in the group stage.
The 14 winners will then join the 26 top-ranked teams in the second round. Seeded countries include Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria, Kenya, South Africa, Ghana, Morocco and Egypt.
“These opening fixtures include local rivalries between 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) participants Burundi and Tanzania and a west African derby between Liberia and Sierra Leone,” read a CAF statement.
Five places at the 2022 World Cup have been allotted to Africa, and the 40 successful teams from the preliminary rounds will advance to the main group stage, from which 10 countries will progress to the final qualifying round.
Despite recent progress and qualification to the AFCON for the first time in their history earlier this year, Burundi failed to progress beyond the group stage, losing all three matches without scoring a goal.
Similarly, Tanzania returned to the AFCON for the first time since their debut in 1980, but also lost all three group stage matches and have since sacked coach Emmanuel Amuneke.
African qualifiers traditionally provide plenty of surprises and memorable matches. Four of the five African teams at the 2006 World Cup in Germany were making their debuts at the global finals, including Angola and Togo, whose Qatar 2022 qualifying campaigns begin with challenging encounters against Gambia and Comoros respectively.
13 African nations have played at the FIFA World Cup finals, with Brazil 2014 marking the first time two African countries had advanced to the knockout stages in the same tournament.
- 'If Trump, Kim can meet' then FIFA can have 48-team 2022 World Cup
- Vietnam to play five 2022 World Cup qualification games
- Qatar unveils 2022 World Cup logo
- Deschamps keen to lead France into 2022 World Cup
- 2022 World Cup final to be played on Dec. 18
- FIFA backs 48 team World Cup in 2022
- Qatar ploughs ahead with World Cup plans despite crises
- 'Majority' back 48-team Qatar World Cup, says Infantino
- Vietnam optimistic ahead of World Cup qualifying round
- World Cup host Qatar to introduce labour complaint reform
- ASEAN nations to launch joint bid to host 2034 FIFA World Cup
- France gives World Cup winners a heroes' welcome home
- Qatar officials say 48-team World Cup will not be 'imposed'
- FIFA World Cup Qatar Asian Qualifiers draw to be held next month
- King’s Cup and Vietnam’s World Cup qualification hopes
- World Cup: Brazil seek to temper hopes of Belgium's 'Golden Generation'
- Russia hope for World Cup miracle against Spain
- Vietnamese women eligible for 2015 World Cup play-off
- 'Made in Vietnam' World Cup trophies satisfy football fans
- Vietnam meets Thailand, UAE in World Cup 2022 qualifying
28 Africa teams ready to begin quest for Qatar 2022 World Cup berths have 422 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at September 4, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.