DONALD Trump has claimed he wants to buy Greenland from Russia.
But why does he want it, and is it for sale? Find out here…
WHY DOES DONALD TRUMP WANT TO BUY GREENLAND?
Donald Trump has reportedly told aides to look into the possibility of buying Greenland.
The US President wants to buy the Danish territory as it is in a crucial strategic location in case tensions with Russia rise.
The Wall Street Journal reported that Trump has repeatedly expressed a desire to buy the island, which lies between the North Atlantic and Arctic oceans.
At a dinner last spring, the former property tycoon is reported to have mentioned buying Greenland.
“What do you guys think about that?” he asked the room, according to a source.
“Do you think it would work?”
Some of Trump’s administration supported the concept while other dismissed it as “fleeting fascination”, according to the paper.
The US has long seen Greenland as strategically important and established a radar base at Thule at the start of the Cold War.
IS GREENLAND FOR SALE?
Denmark has said that Greenland is not for sale.
In 1946, the US proposed to pay Denmark $100 million to buy Greenland after flirting with the idea of swapping land in Alaska for strategic parts of the Arctic island.
The autonomous Danish dependent territory has limited self-government and its own parliament.
While its government decides on domestic matters – foreign and security policy is handled by Copenhagen.
Denmark contributes two thirds of Greenland’s budget revenue, the rest coming mainly from fishing.
Potential oil, gas and rare earth mineral reserves have also attracted prospecting firms.
WHEN DID THE US BUY ALASKA
Alaska was formally transferred from Russia to the US on October 18, 1867, through a treaty ratified by the US Senate.
Cops raid traveller site after newlywed PC ‘dragged to death’ before honeymoon
Dad slams ‘disgusting’ soft sentence for wife who drowned twins to spite him
Newlywed cop killed by car told wife ‘Life is slippery… take my hand’
THINNING BLUE LINE
Cops warn trolls who mocked drug dealer’s hair they could be PROSECUTED
Family’s £3k holiday hell where yobs took drugs all day & romped in pool
COULD SHE HAVE BEEN SAVED?
Nora cops told of ‘white girl swimming’ HOURS after she vanished
It was made a state by President Eisenhower in 1948.
Alaska is now home in Fort Greely – a US Army launch site for anti-ballistic missiles.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.
- What does Donald Trump's impeachment mean? Five quick questions answered
- Donald Trump wanted 'impressive' Nancy Pelosi to IMPEACH George W. Bush over the Iraq war 'lies' and dismissed Bill Clinton's impeachment as 'nonsense' in resurfaced 2008 interview
- What does Donald Trump’s impeachment mean and why is he still President?
- Adam Schiff Says Donald Trump Wants to Make Impeachment a 'Circus,' Rejects Calls to Testify
- Donald Trump wants to break Huawei, but could US action backfire?
- New Jersey Rep. Jeff Van Drew Pledges ‘Undying Support’ For President Donald Trump As He Switches To Republican Party
- President Donald Trump To Hold Evangelicals Event In Miami
- Donald Trump's impeachment might seem like political theatre, but it's changing American democracy
- Donald Trump's first overseas trip as US President takes him further away from home than most
- Donald Trump's impeachment hearing went public for the first time. Here are the key takeaways