Nick Kyrgios lost 6-7 (3) 7-6 (4) 6-2 to Russian Karen Khachanov at the Western and Southern Open in Cincinnati, and also lost his temper with the umpire.
The mercurial Australian unleashed a profanity-laced tirade at the chair umpire, Fergus Murphy.
Kyrgios won the opening set despite foot and ankle issues, but after a rant he threw his towel over a camera, forcing the broadcasters to switch to an overhead view.
After Khachanov won the second set, Kyrgios shouted: “The worst f***ing ref ever, the worst ref in the game.
“The worst, hands down. Every time I play he’s doing some stupid s**t, every time.”
At the end of the match Kyrgios unleashed on Murphy again, saying: “You’re a f***ing tool bro.”
Khachanov now moves on to the third round and will take on Frenchman Lucas Pouille, who beat Canadian Denis Shapovalov 6-4 6-4.
Kyrgios is likely to face disciplinary action for his outbursts.
Earlier, Alexander Zverev hit 20 double faults in a bruising loss to 19-year-old qualifier Miomir Kecmanovic.
The German has had a poor season and this was another low point, Kecmanovic benefiting from his opponent’s wayward serving in a 6-7 (4) 6-2 6-4 victory, his first over a top-10 player.
The bottom half of the draw is wide open, with fourth seed Kei Nishikori another big name to fall.
Nishikori lost an all-Japanese clash with Yoshihito Nishioka, who defeated a man he calls his hero 7-6 (2) 6-4 for the biggest victory of his career.
- After Nick Kyrgios calls her a ‘blatant racist’, Australian Olympic swimming legend Dawn Fraser apologizes for comments
- Newcomer Nick Kyrgios arrives at Wimbledon with stunning performance over Rafael Nadal
- Nick Kyrgios entertains in loss to Andy Murray at U.S. Open
- Rafael Nadal eliminated from Wimbledon by 19-year-old Australian Nick Kyrgios
- Aussie men Nick Kyrgios and Thanasi Kokkinakis viewed by many as misbehaving outlaws entering U.S. Open qualifying matches
- Nick Kyrgios matched with Andy Murray, Serena Williams has brutal U.S. Open draw
- Andy Dalton scores two TDs as Cincinnati Bengals force five turnovers, defeat Philadelphia Eagles
- NFL flags referee Tony Corrente for swearing on his live mic during game between Indianapolis Colts and Miami Dolphins
- Nick Lachey sings love song about Wendy’s Pretzel Bacon Cheeseburger
- Serena, Venus Williams move closer to likely Wimbledon showdown with 2nd round wins
- From black bras to blasting Carmelo Anthony, the 10 naughtiest things that happened at Wimbledon
- CoCo Vandeweghe slams Maria Sharapova for unsportsmanlike behavior after Wimbledon exit
- Eugenie Bouchard and the Bad Boys at U.S. Open
- John McEnroe says don't let Battle of the Sexes talk overshadow Serena Williams' run towards calendar Grand Slam
- U.S. Open: Eugenie Bouchard suffers head injury after a Friday night fall in the locker room
- Roger Federer double faults his way out of Australian Open, upset by Andreas Seppi in third round
- Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli won't rule out comeback as U.S. Open is underway
- NCAA champion Jamie Loeb gets rough welcome from Caroline Wozniacki in U.S. Open debut
- Defending Wimbledon champion Andy Murray out, beaten in straight sets by Grigor Dimitrov
- Rafael Nadal eliminated at Australian Open, Tomas Berdych ousts him in quarterfinals
Nick Kyrgios swears at umpire after defeat in Cincinnati have 512 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at August 15, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.