MEDINAH, Ill. — Phil Mickelson had a wild Sunday, and that was before he showed up for the BMW Championship.
Mickelson said on Twitter that lightning struck the hotel where he was staying, leading to an evacuation. One problem: He was staying on the top floor, his clubs were in his room and his tee time at Medinah was approaching.
Mickelson eventually got to the course in time to change shoes in the parking lot, but not after a tweet saying that his clubs served as a fire retardant. He headed to the range to warm up, pausing only to answer the phone when his wife called to check on him.
He told her at one point, “I tweeted it.”
Storms have caused the final round to be pushed back and started from both tees.
- Mickelson Late to the Course After Lightning Hits Hotel
- Hurricanes fall late to Lightning 3-2
- Law prof creates textbook and course around hit show 'The Wire'
- Lightning from overnight storms caused tank fires in northeast Harris County
- Mickelson snaps at US Open, running down a moving putt and striking it
- 6 Injured When Lightning Strikes PGA Golf Tournament In Atlanta
- Ryanair jet forced to land at Stansted after being struck by lightning bolt
- Lightning map – where did storms strike in the UK last night and is more thunder and lightning forecast?
- What is thunder and lightning, what causes them and what does the time between lightning and thunder indicate?
- Lightning cause a power (play) surge, shock Caps in Game 3