Andy Murray has branded the latest antics of his friend Nick Kyrgios as bad for tennis.
The Aussie has been fined US$113,000 (£93,254) for five separate acts of unsportsmanlike conduct during his defeat at the Cincinnati Masters and could yet be banned.
Included in the rap sheet was leaving the court without permission to smash two racquets and calling Irish umpire Fergus Murphy a “f***ing tool”.
The Scot has always acted as a mentor to the 24-year-old and has previously defended his actions.
But after Kyrgios’ defeat to Karen Khachanov, Murray said: “I chatted to him a little bit after the match – it wasn’t good, and I felt for Fergus as he shouldn’t have to put up with that.
“It’s obviously up to him, and I think for the most part a couple of weeks ago in Washington, he did a good job of helping himself and using the crowd.
“But obviously this week, he went back to what he was doing before. You just hope he will figure it out, because a week like in Washington (where Kyrgios won the title) is really good for tennis, but last night isn’t. Hopefully he gets it figured out.”
Murray has decided not to play doubles at the US Open as he steps up his training for a full-time return to singles action.
The former world No.1, who played his first singles match since January in Cincinnati, has instead accepted a wild card to play singles at the Winston-Salem Open next week.
He could then opt to play a second-tier Challenger event during the final Grand Slam of the year. “I’m not going to play doubles at the US Open,” Murray said.
“My goal is to get back playing at the level that I want to on the singles court, and I’ve decided that I need to focus all my energies on that right now. The US Open, doubles and mixed, can be another couple of weeks that you are slowing things down.”
- Nick Kyrgios lets fly at Novak Djokovic in lockdown chat
- Nick Kyrgios Tells Andy Murray "You Are Better Than Novak Djokovic"
- Andy Murray turns 33: It's the way the years have flown by for Britain's tennis great
- Andy Murray looks to hard-court season after deciding not to play Wimbledon
- Nick Kyrgios has commitment to tennis called into question once more as he pulls out of Rotterdam Open to play the NBA All-Star Weekend Celebrity Game
- Andy Murray is a perfectionist but his Wimbledon decision may be flawed
- Nick Kyrgios didn’t hold back when talking about tennis’ biggest names
- Andy Murray: Boris Becker says no tennis for rest of 2020 is good news for Briton
- NFL Backup QB Power Rankings, from 1-32: Andy Dalton gives Cowboys elite option behind Dak Prescott
- Kyrgios tells Murray 'you are better than Djokovic'
- PDC Home Tour: Michael Smith and Steve Beaton return as latest groups confirmed
- Here Are the Best Answers From Bill Murray’s Latest Reddit AMA
- GOP senators give Democrats' $3T relief bill a cold shoulder
- ATP Tour chief Andrea Gaudenzi refusing to give up on 2020 just yet
- Stephen Jones says Cowboys having Andy Dalton as backup QB is comparable to when Eagles had Nick Foles
- 1pm Man Utd news LIVE: Matondo transfer if Sancho transfer fails, Dembele ‘£61.8m fee AGREED’, Bellingham LATEST
- GOP senators give Democrats’ $3T relief bill a cold shoulder
- Young Algerian Player's Emotional Reply To Dominic Thiem Draws Support From Tennis Stars
- Wimbledon cancelled: Implications after coronavirus pandemic sees SW19 called off
- PDC Home Tour: Scott Waites produces exhibition of finishing to seal top spot on Night 27
Andy Murray gives verdict on Nick Kyrgios' latest antics have 587 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at August 16, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.