Firefighters are battling an 8-alarm fire in downtown Natick that broke out in the pre-dawn hours Monday morning.
Acting Natick Fire Chief Daniel Dow told reporters at the scene that firefighters responded to the block of businesses at 7 South Main St. around 1:22 a.m. where the blaze was found in the basement. The building across from the Natick Common was built in 1900 and has undergone many renovations over the years, which presented a challenge for firefighters looking for the source of the fire, he said.
No civilians were injured, but one firefighter was taken to the hospital with an arm injury.
“The heat has been a challenge today, too,” Dow said just before 7 a.m.
Firefighters were continuing to attack the fire from outside.
“This is still a very active scene,” Natick police Lt. Cara Rossi told reporters.
Rossi said pedestrian traffic would be limited downtown and vehicles wouldn’t be able to get into the area until “well into” the evening commute. Police are asking drivers to avoid Routes 27 and 135.
“It’s going to be a very difficult day to do business downtown,” Rossi said.
Dow said the roof has collapsed and the building — which housed several businesses, including a Chinese restaurant, a Christian Science reading room, and a print shop — will have to be taken apart.
State fire officials are on scene, and the cause of the fire will be under investigation.
“It’s too early to tell where the fire originated,” Dow said.
Sign up for Boston.com Today to get the headlines delivered to your inbox.
Thanks for signing up!
- Pink pledges $500,000 to help Australian firefighters battling bushfires
- 'My heart goes out to those who've lost loved ones and homes': Naomi Watts pens a tribute to bushfire victims and firefighters battling the blazes... and admits the crisis is 'upsetting and worrying'
- Zara Tindall beams at the Magic Millions racing event in Queensland – after helping to raise $300,000 for firefighters battling Australia's raging bushfires
- From Hollywood A-listers to local celebrities and a pub baron: The stars donating MILLIONS to frontline firefighters battling Australia's blazes
- Firefighters battle to save residents and properties from NSW South Coast bushfire
- Thor to the rescue! Chris Hemsworth and his family donate $1MILLION to help Australian firefighters battling the bushfires
- Firefighters battling blaze in Hāwera house
- Bushfires set the rhythm of my firefighting family and thousands just like us
- Firefighter compensation scheme excludes many volunteers, Queensland man says
- Australia SNUBS an offer from Denmark to send hundreds of volunteer firefighters to help with the country's bushfire crisis - after Princess Mary's heartfelt message of support days earlier