Italy had more overnight stays by foreign nationals than tourist hotspot France, it’s been claimed.
The country’s government tourist board said there were 216.5 million such stays in 2018 in Italy, compared with 140.7m in France.
Spain, it added, was highest in Europe with 301 million.
It said foreigners spent €41.7 billion in Italy last year, boosting the Italian economy and gross domestic product by 1.5%.
Foreign tourism overall in Italy increased by 2.8% compared to 2017, making up 13% of Italy’s GDP.
Standing next to Rome’s famous Trevi fountain, one American tourist visiting with his partner summed up the attraction:
“Everyone I know has either come here or is planning to come here. Yes, so either the views or the food, with me personally the food. Her, she loves museums and churches.”
Tourism is expected to grow even further as the Chinese market continues to expand.
- Macron calls for French reconciliation with Italy
- Six Nations LIVE! England vs Italy and Scotland vs Wales
- France Recalls Ambassador to Italy, Revealing Strains at Europe’s Core
- France recalls Italy ambassador after worst verbal onslaught 'since the war'
- Six Nations 2019 LIVE! Italy vs Ireland latest
- High-speed tunnel project divides Italy's ruling populists
- Relieved France beats Italy 25-14 in last 6N match
- EU FURY: Growing anti-French sentiment in Italy - ‘Macron is held responsible!’
- Italy fixtures: When do Italy play in the Six Nations? Dates, rugby TV schedule
- Germany and France Renew Their Vows, but Challenges Abound