A man in his twenties has died in Paris after his electric scooter collided with a lorry, sources said on Tuesday (Jun 11), amid growing concern over the safety of the increasingly popular contraptions in the French capital.
|Electric scooters are pictured near the Eiffel Tower on Dec 13, 2018 in Paris. (Photo: AFP/Lionel Bonaventure)|
The man, 25, was riding the scooter in the bustling Goutte d’Or neighbourhood in the north of the city when he hit the lorry.
He was rushed to hospital where he died of his wounds, the Paris emergency services said.
The driver of the lorry has been detained. A source close to the case, who asked not to be named, said that the lorry driver had priority on the road in the incident.
Just a year after they first appeared on the Paris streets, mushrooming electric scooters have become a gigantic headache for the Paris authorities who are now rushing to implement some kind of framework for their use.
City mayor Anne Hidalgo on Thursday announced a ban on parking electric scooters on the pavement and said their speed limit on roads should be 20kmh.
Paris has already introduced fines of 135 euros (US$150) for riding electic scooters on the pavement.
Fans have embraced scooters as a quick and cheap way to get around, since the “dockless” devices are unlocked with a phone app and can be left anywhere when a ride is finished.
But critics say they are a grave safety risk both for their users and pedestrians while scooters strewn randomly across the city have also become an eyesore.
According to French press reports, a man aged 81 died in April in Levallois-Perret outside Paris, days after being knocked over by an electric scooter.
- Bus driver to stand trial accused of using his mobile phone while behind the wheel before killing a scooter rider and his passenger in a horrific crash
- Australian woman driver is accused of killing a scooter rider, 19, in a horror crash in Bali - as police claim she doesn't have a licence
- Motor scooter rider and his passenger are killed in horror crash after being hit by both a city bus and a 4WD - as a driver is charged with using his phone while behind the wheel
- Australian widow, 49, who moved to Bali to start a new life after losing her husband is sentenced to jail for hitting and killing a teenage scooter rider
- Uber Eats driver, 32, and his passenger, 44, are killed after being hit by a city bus driver 'who was on his phone'
- Pictured: The Taiwanese Uber Eats deliverymen who were killed when a bus driver accused of using his mobile phone at the wheel ploughed into their scooter
- Bye-bye, SF scooters as Bird, Lime and Spin go on hiatus
- It’s no flying car, but the e-scooter had a huge impact on city streets in 2018
- Essex lorry deaths – Driver ‘passed out’ when he opened door ‘to get paperwork’ and found bodies of 39 Chinese migrants
- M53 closed: Man killed after being hit by lorry on busy motorway
- Motorist dies after lorry rams into his car in Kisii
- At least three dead in Masimba road crash
- Vintage car driver, 80, killed in M23 crash named as millionaire businessman
- The Boosted Scooter Is a Blast
- Vauxhall helicopter crash: two die after aircraft hits crane
- Ethiopian Airlines 737 MAX crash had 'clear similarities' with Lion Air crash
- Pictured: Diplomat's wife, 42, 'who was driving on the wrong side of the road with her son, 12, in the car when she hit and killed' British teen as Boris Johnson vows to ask Donald Trump to 'reconsider' her immunity
- Man, 80, killed in vintage 1903 car in tragic M23 crash
- US diplomat's wife, 42, 'drove 400 yards on the wrong side of the road before she hit and killed' British teen outside RAF base and claimed diplomatic immunity as it emerges her children were at the £6,400-a-term school where his father is caretaker
- Police Search Home of Andreas Lubitz, Co-Pilot Suspected of Crashing Germanwings Flight
Paris scooter rider killed after lorry crash have 645 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at June 11, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.