POLLING stations across Northern Ireland experienced a teatime rush yesterday as people voted in what is being billed as the most open European election for decades. Good weather was expected to ensure a reasonably healthy turnout and yesterday afternoon traffic at polling stations was described by one Electoral Office official as “slow but steady”, though numbers of voters picked up as the day progressed Turnout at the last European poll in 2014 was close to 52 per cent, although that coincided with a local government election. Eleven candidates are competing for three seats elected from a single constituency covering all of Northern Ireland. (left to right) Martina Anderson, Diane Dodds, Colum Eastwood, Danny Kennedy, Claire Bailey and Naomi Long as drawn by Irish News cartoonist Ian Knox Northern Ireland and Britain had not been scheduled to hold European elections but the decision to delay Brexit made it necessary to elect MEPs. When the polls closed last night at 10pm, the process of transporting more than 1,450 ballot boxes to the counting centre at the Meadowbank Sports Arena in Magherafelt, Co Derry got underway. However, counting of votes will not begin until Monday morning when all elections across the EU have… Read full this story
- European elections 'face growing threat of manipulation'
- Malta ruling party members vote to elect new leader and PM
- Croats vote to elect new president from candidates of two biggest parties
- Croats vote to elect new president in tight race
- New Hampshire Republicans to Corey Lewandowski: Stay Away From the Senate
- NDA allies in TN stay away from BJP’s CAA rallies
- Man who accosted Brad Pitt ordered to stay away from red carpets
- Mum screams ‘stay away, I’m infected’ and ‘my son’s dying’ after he ‘swallows deadly toxin RICIN’ in chemical alert
- Bigg Boss 13: Arhaan Khan shares unseen photos with Rashami Desai; fans ask him to stay away from her
- Bigg Boss 13: Arhaan Khan posts loved up pics with Rashami Desai, fans ask him to ‘stay away from her’
Voting in European election steady as rain stays away have 335 words, post on www.irishnews.com at May 24, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.