KIEV, Ukraine (AP) — The latest on Ukrainian politics (all times local): 12:25 a.m. The U.N. Security Council has rejected a Russian attempt to hold a meeting on a new Ukrainian language law, with opponents saying Moscow wanted to upstage the inauguration of Ukraine’s new president. Russia got just five of the required nine “yes” votes in the 15-member council to hold the meeting Monday. France, Germany, U.S., U.K., Belgium and Poland voted against. Four countries abstained. Opponents say they asked to postpone the meeting until after Monday’s inauguration of Volodymyr Zelenskiy but Russia refused. ADVERTISEMENT Russian Ambassador Vassily Nebenzia sharply criticized the language law that requires the use of Ukrainian in the government and media. Russian is also widely spoken in Ukraine. Ukrainian Ambassador Volodymyr Yelchenko said “this is not the best way to start contacts between Russia and Ukraine.” ___ 6:20 p.m. A party that was part of a ruling coalition in Ukraine has criticized the newly sworn president’s decision to disband parliament and call snap elections. Ukrainian television star Volodymyr Zelenskiy said he would disband the legislature immediately after being sworn in as president Monday, castigating the current lawmakers as people focused on self-enrichment. The People’s Front… Read full this story
- President Barack Obama, Russian Putin meet & play nice, but divisions remain
- The Latest: Pompeo plans to meet Russian over Venezuela
- Serena and Venus Williams beat highly-ranked Russians, will meet again in Wimbledon final
- Frontier's latest focus city attempt is Wilmington, Del.
- Ukraine plans second major prisoner swap with Russia: Kiev
- Trump team collusion with Russia? Ukraine connection may hold key.
- Pompeo stops in Montenegro to discuss NATO, no comment on Ukraine
- Investigation of Trump campaign's possible Russia collusion may focus on Ukraine ties
- Aides defend Pence’s role in Ukraine controversy
- Richard Haass explains why we should care about Ukraine
The Latest: UN rejects Russian attempt to meet on Ukraine have 315 words, post on apnews.com at May 20, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.