A YOUNG woman is lucky to be alive after a tooth infection blocked her airways and put her into a coma.
Caitlin Alsop, from Gold Coast in Australia, suddenly developed a mysterious face rash and flu-like symptoms.
The 24-year-old’s throat and tongue also began to swell which cut off her airways.
Caitlin was rushed to hospital where doctors realised she was having an allergic reaction and jabbed her with an adrenaline shot.
LUCKY TO BE ALIVE
Her blood pressure began to drop and medics were forced to place her into an induced coma for nine days.
Caitlin said on Facebook: “My 3 symptoms that no GP could detect? A burnt tongue feeling that night, red rash on my face and sleeping constantly.
She told the Courier Mail: “Mum was told to prepare for the worst, and the family all came to see me.”
After a battery of tests doctors discovered she was suffering from a rare life-threatening oral infection called Ludwig’s Angina.
The infection quickly spread and affected her entire jaw.
She said: “The condition is extremely rare and means to be strangled alive.
SIZZLE INTO SUMMER
Brits to roast in 28C as Met Office backs THREE-MONTH warm spell
BIG MAC AND FINES
Drive-thru motorists using smartphones could get £200 fine and 6 points
‘ROT IN JAIL, MUM’
Daughter of serial killer Joanna Dennehy hopes she dies behind bars
Stefanie Sherk’s cause of death revealed after she passed away at 43
Model, 26, dies after collapsing on catwalk during Sao Paulo Fashion Week
love rival attack
Teen hit with hammer after being tricked on Snapchat into meeting
“It was the infection and life support machines/drains which burnt me. It moves quickly through any tissues”
Oral surgeon Dr Kemal Akbiyik said people can die from dental infections and said it’s important for people to have regular checks.
Caitlin said she is now on the road to recovery but now has a permanent lisp as a result.
- Ruth Wilson says she's 'not allowed to talk about' why she left The Affair... six months after calling out pay gap with co-star Dominic West
- Care of woman who died from sepsis was chaotic, says family
- Family of US woman who died in Dominican Republic seeks answers after FedEx loses blood test sample
- Pictured: British woman killed in 'jeep safari' car crash as she was driven back to Turkish resort from popular tourist spot
- Pale-skinned Aboriginal woman, 24, was so ashamed of her skin tone that she got addicted to wearing fake tan so people would believe she is indigenous
- Summer Monteys-Fullam, 24, parties away her woes after revealing she's taking her ex Paul Hollywood, 53, to court over £4,000 horse shelters
- Doctors dropped from Ireland probe of woman who died after being denied abortion
- Kansas man sentenced to life for leaving woman to die
- Emma Watson addresses note to Indian woman who died after being denied abortion
- Woman, 63, dies in agony just hours after paramedics refused to take her hospital