Breaking News Emails Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings. SUBSCRIBE April 21, 2019, 3:27 PM GMT By Allan Smith Buried in special counsel Robert Mueller’s 400-plus page report is the question of whether then-president-elect Donald Trump attended a 2016 championship chess tournament — an event that came under scrutiny as Mueller probed possible collusion between Trump’s orbit and the Russian government. Although Trump said he did not attend the event, he told Mueller in written answers that he became “aware of documents indicating” that then-president of the World Chess Federation (FIDE) Kirsan Ilyumzhinov — a sanctioned Russian power player — invited the Trump Organization in March 2016 to host the tournament at Trump Tower. “I do not remember having been asked to attend the World Chess Championship gala, and I did not attend the event,” Trump told Mueller. “During the course of preparing to respond to these questions, I have become aware of documents indicating that in March of 2016, the president of the World Chess Federation invited the Trump Organization to host, at Trump Tower, the 2016 World Chess Championship Match to be held in New York in November… Read full this story
- Mueller asked Trump about 2016 RNC platform change regarding Ukraine: Sources
- Trump attends Ultimate Fighting Championship to sound of boos and cheers
- Full Timeline of the Mueller Investigation into Russian Meddling and Obstruction of Justice
- Dem committees win new powers to investigate Trump
- Trump Attends UFC Championship in NYC Only to Be Met With Loud Boos at Second Sporting Event This Week
- Michael Cohen pleads guilty to lying to Congress in new deal with Mueller in Trump-Russia probe
- Barr picks U.S. attorney to review Mueller investigation origins
- Can Mueller Indict Trump While He's President? Pelosi Says it's an 'Open Discussion'
- US Democratic Party sues Russia, WikiLeaks, Donald Trump over 2016 election
- Nick Saban Reveals His Thoughts on Donald Trump Attending LSU vs. Alabama Game
Mueller investigated whether Trump attended a 2016 chess championship alongside Russians have 322 words, post on www.nbcnews.com at April 21, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.