Dave Birkett Detroit Free Press
Published 2:00 PM EDT May 2, 2019
Winter is coming, and Kerryon Johnson doesn’t care if you’re ready for it or not.
Johnson, the Detroit Lions’ gregarious running back, has found himself immersed in the final season of the popular HBO series Game of Thrones.
He live-tweeted last Sunday’s episode, and at the risk of playing spoiler, he’s happy to talk about it again.
“I promise you I don’t care nothing about if you ain’t caught up,” Johnson said Thursday as the Lions continued Phase 2 of their offseason workouts. “Look, the show has been out for so long. If you’re not caught up by now …”
With just three episodes left, Johnson said there’s no room to allow for a grace period for anyone who might have missed the most recent episode.
“Hey, look, watch it,” he said. “I watched it, you can watch it. Like, man, I don’t care. No, I don’t care. I’ll spoil it. I’ll spoil it again, too.”
Johnson said he started watching Game of Thrones a few years ago during his time at Auburn, but couldn’t get into the fantasy drama at first.
“Hated it,” he said. “Absolutely hated it.”
He gave it a second chance during training camp last season as a rookie and quickly found himself hooked.
“Yeah, I’m stupid, I was watching Game of Thrones in fall camp,” Johnson said. “So any off time we got before I was doing all my other stuff, I try to get a little episode in and got hooked, and so now I’m watching it.”
As for last week’s episode, when — SPOILER ALERT — Arya killed the Night King, Johnson said he got so hyped during the show that “I was going crazy in my room and I was running all around the room.”
“Arya came through in the clutch, did her thing,” Johnson said. “Cause I thought they were going to all die. I really thought everybody was gone. I was like, ‘Oh, welp, hey, we tried.’ But they came through, they did their thing so I’m happy the show is going where is going.”
Contact Dave Birkett at [email protected] Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett. Read more on the Detroit Lions and sign up for our Lions newsletter.
- Arkush: If Bears play their game, win over Detroit Lions there for taking
- Ian Robertson, the voice of rugby, is laying down his mic for the last time: 'I fear for the Lions but not game itself'
- Why does the NFL play games on Thanksgiving and who is playing today?
- Game of Thrones season 8 start date – how many episodes will there be and how long are they?
- Here's everything we know so far about Game of Thrones series 8
- Kit Harington hasn’t even told his wife how Game of Thrones ends
- How many series of Game of Thrones will there be? How many more seasons are left of HBO hit?
- Game of Thrones director David Nutter teases ‘shocking’ final season that will see characters back at the beginning of their story
- Game Of Thrones bosses have created ‘TV’s biggest ever battle scene’ for gripping final instalment of the hit show
- Reigns: Game of Thrones for Android, iOS, and PC Announced