New activity has been detected at a factory that produced North Korea’s first intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) capable of reaching the United States, South Korea’s JoongAng Ilbo and Donga Ilbo newspapers reported, citing lawmakers briefed by the National Intelligence Service.
This week, two U.S. think tanks and Seoul’s spy agency said North Korea was rebuilding a rocket launch site, prompting Trump to say he would be “very, very disappointed in Chairman Kim” if it were true.
Asked on Thursday if he was disappointed about recent North Korean activity, Trump told reporters in the Oval Office: “It’s disappointing,” while adding without elaborating: “We’ll see. We’ll let you know in about a year.”
The reports of North Korean activity raise more questions about the future of the dialog Trump has pursued with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un after a second summit between the two leaders in Vietnam broke down last week.
White House national security adviser John Bolton said on Thursday that Trump was still open to additional talks with North Korea over denuclearization.
“The president’s obviously open to talking again. We’ll see when that might be scheduled or how it might work out,” Bolton said in an interview with Fox News.
Bolton, a hard-liner who has argued for a tough approach to North Korea in the past, said it was too soon to make a determination on the reports of the North Korean activities.
“We have a lot of ways of getting information,” he said. “We’re going to study the situation carefully. As the president said, it would be very, very disappointing if they were taking this direction.”
The Feb. 27-28 Vietnam summit collapsed over differences on how far North Korea was willing to limit its nuclear program and the degree of U.S. willingness to ease economic sanctions.
Trump, eager for a big foreign policy win on North Korea that has eluded his predecessors for decades, has repeatedly stressed his good relationship with Kim. He went as far late last year as saying they “fell in love,” but the bonhomie has failed so far to bridge the wide gap between the two sides.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Monday he was hopeful he would send a delegation to North Korea for more talks in the next couple of weeks, but that he had received “no commitment yet.”
South Korean spy chief Suh Hoon told lawmakers in Seoul this week that movement of cargo vehicles was spotted recently around a North Korean ICBM factory at Sanumdong and he viewed it as missile-related, the JoongAng Ilbo reported.
The paper also quoted Suh as saying North Korea had continued to run its uranium enrichment facility at the main Yongbyon nuclear complex after a first summit between Trump and Kim last June in Singapore.
The Sanumdong factory produced the Hwasong-15 ICBM, which can fly more than 13,000 km (8,080 miles). After a test flight in 2017, North Korea declared the completion of its “state nuclear force” before pursuing talks with South Korea and the United States last year.
South Korea’s presidential office and defense ministry declined to confirm the Sanumdong reports and the U.S. State Department said it could not comment on intelligence matters.
Separately, U.S. think tanks reported on Thursday that North Korea’s Sohae Satellite Launching Station appeared to be operational again after work that began days before Trump met with Kim in Hanoi.
Washington’s Center for Strategic and International Studies think tank called the work a “snapback” after North Korea partially dismantled the site, acting on a pledge by Kim to Trump in Singapore.
“The rebuilding activities at Sohae demonstrate how quickly North Korea can easily render reversible any steps taken towards scrapping its WMD program with little hesitation,” it said.
“North Korea’s actions constitute an affront to the president’s diplomatic strategy (and) demonstrate North Korean pique at Trump’s refusal to lift economic sanctions during the meetings in Hanoi.”
The Washington-based 38 North think tank also said the Sohae site appeared now to have returned to normal operational status.
Some analysts see the work as aimed at pressing Washington to agree to a deal, rather than as a definite move to resume tests.
A U.S. government source, who did not want to be identified, said North Korea’s plan in rebuilding the site could have been to offer a demonstration of good faith by conspicuously stopping again if a summit pact was struck, while furnishing a sign of defiance or resolve if the meeting failed.
Imagery from Planet Labs Inc analyzed by the Center for Nonproliferation Studies at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies in California showed activity at Sohae from Feb. 23 until Wednesday.
38 North said photos from Wednesday showed the rail-mounted transfer building used to move rockets at the site was complete, cranes had been removed from the launch pad and the transfer building moved to the end of the pad.
“But we don’t draw any conclusions from that besides they are restoring the facility,” Joel Wit of 38 North told Reuters. “There is no evidence to suggest anything more than that.”
Bolton on Wednesday warned of new sanctions if North Korea did not scrap its weapons program.
Despite his sanctions talk, there have been signs across Asia that the U.S. “maximum pressure” sanctions campaign against North Korea has sprung leaks.
In a new breach, three South Korean companies were found to have brought in more than 13,000 tons of North Korean coal, worth 2.1 billion won ($2 million) since 2017, South Korea said.
North Korean media have given conflicting signals on U.S. relations, while appearing to target Bolton as a spoiler.
Its state television aired a 78-minute documentary late on Wednesday focused on showing a cordial mood between Trump and Kim as the summit ended, indicating Pyongyang was not about to walk away from negotiations, experts say.
It also showed a stone-faced Bolton during a meeting in Hanoi, while Trump and other U.S. participants were all smiles.
In a return to a more usual strident tone, the KCNA news agency criticized new small-scale military exercises that the United States and South Korea plan to hold instead of a large-scale spring exercise they have called off.
It said the drills would be a “violent violation” of agreements between the United States and North Korea and between the two Koreas.
The U.S. and South Korean militaries said last week they would not carry out large-scale spring joint military exercises, replacing them with smaller-scale ones.
- US-North Korea summit: A timeline of the tumultuous relations between the two nations
- Transcript: Former Defense Secretary Robert Gates on "Face the Nation," May 13, 2018
- The secret nuclear weapons program of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards
- What next if a Donald Trump-Kim Jong-un deal actually happens?
- Cool, Drama-Free Fishing Opener. Springier for Mother's Day
- Full transcript: Face the Nation on May 6, 2018
- UPDATE: President Trump announces US will exit nuclear accord with Iran
- Donald Trump announces 'withdrawal' from Iran nuclear deal
- Trump pulls US out of Iran nuke deal
- Trump scuttles Iran nuclear deal but offers no plan for what comes next
- The Latest: Macron calls US exit from Iran deal a 'mistake'
- Europeans scramble to salvage Iran deal after Trump reneges (Update)
- Transcript: Former Defense Secretary Robert Gates on
- Iranian officials split over response to U.S. demands
- Putin welcomes European efforts to save Iran nuclear deal
US Open to North Korea Talks Despite Missile Program Activity have 1262 words, post on www.newsmax.com at March 7, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.