This story is being published by POLITICO as part of a content partnership with the South China Morning Post. It first appeared on scmp.com on March 27, 2019. U.S. House speaker Nancy Pelosi has expressed deep concern over a Hong Kong government plan to allow the transfer of fugitives to mainland China, according to a delegation of pro-democracy politicians who met her on Tuesday.Story Continued Below The group quoted her as saying she would make sure the congressional chamber’s new Democratic majority trained a spotlight on Hong Kong in the face of alleged increased intervention in the city’s affairs by Beijing. Civic Party lawmaker Dennis Kwok, among three pro-democrats who are on a 10-day trip to the United States at the invitation of the White House, said the government’s fugitive plan was among the key issues discussed in their meeting with Pelosi. “Speaker Pelosi is fully aware of developments in that area. She expressed concern – deep concern – about the implications of such legislative amendments,” he said in Washington, adding that she was particularly concerned about the potential implications for the personal safety of Americans in Hong Kong. “They will continue to pay much greater attention to Hong Kong’s… Read full this story
- Thousands protest after proposed changes to Hong Kong's extradition law
- Protests continue in Hong Kong over extradition bill: What's at stake?
- 'Now or never': Hong Kong protesters say they have nothing to lose
- Hong Kong protesters demand Chief Executive Carrie Lam steps down over extradition bill
- Hong Kong protesters march demanding leader resign
- Chinese military warns it can hit Hong Kong in TEN MINUTES as Beijing masses hundreds of armoured vehicles on city's border
- Hong Kong officially kills extradition Bill
- Hong Kong's legislature postpones extradition bill debate again after dozens injured in protests
- How Hong Kong's relationship with Beijing went from cautious optimism to fear of a siege
- Beijing to respond to Hong Kong's escalating unrest after riot police clash with protesters
Pelosi expressed ‘deep concern’ over Hong Kong plan to extradite fugitives to mainland China have 321 words, post on www.politico.com at March 27, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.