A lucky 19th-century coin that saved a British WWI soldier’s life by deflecting a bullet away from his heart will be sold at auction next week.
The coin belonged to Private John Trickett, who had it in his breast pocket when he was shot at by a German soldier while on a French battlefield in 1918.
Trickett would have been shot in the heart but the bullet ricocheted up his nose and out through the back of his ear, leaving him deaf in his left ear, according to BBC News.
The visibly dented coin, which was made in 1889, is set to be sold by Hansons Auctioneers on March 22 as part of a collection of war-related items belonging to the soldier.
“It looks to me like a pistol bullet hit the penny at close range,” said Adrian Stevenson, a militaria expert from Hansons. “I’ve come across many stories of random objects saving soldiers’ lives but I’ve never seen anything like this before.”
Private John Trickett was 19 when he was shot in 1918. He was left deaf when the bullet ricocheted up his nose and out through the back of his ear. (Photo Credit: Hanson Auctioneers / YouTube)
Trickett’s granddaughter, Maureen Coulson, said Trickett was 19 when he was shot. “Everyone in our family saw the penny and heard the story of how it saved my grandfather’s life,” she said. “It’s strange to think that, but for that penny, his children would not have been born and I wouldn’t be here.”
Trickett was honorably discharged from the Northamptonshire Regiment on Sept. 7, 1918, shortly prior to the end of the war.
The “miracle” coin currently has a pre-sale estimate of 100 to 200 British pounds ($133-$266).
More on Geek.com:
- "They'll be hunted down and killed": Former army captain urges U.S. to save Afghan interpreters
- Iraq's refugees: Life after IS
- The war in Marawi: 153 days and more
- Why The Hunger Games: Mockingjay is a Better Book than Catching Fire
- Cyberpunk 2077 1.2 Update is Live With Hundreds Of Fixes
- Osama’s Prodigal Son: The Dark, Twisted Journey of Omar bin Laden
- Doctors With Enemies: Did Afghan Forces Target the M.S.F. Hospital?
- Silicon Valley’s Start-Up Machine
- The Walking Dead's eighth season ends in big, bloodthirsty war
- The 80 best series to watch on Disney+ right now
- Alec Baldwin Gets Under Trump’s Skin
- FIFA 21 Review: Goals Galore
- THE DE MENIL FAMILY: THE MEDICI OF MODERN ART
- Transcript: Ezra Klein Interviews Céline Gounder
- 50 movie details that will surprise you
- Why Uttarakhand's ex-faujis may not vote BJP
- Kargil Vijay Diwas: Vikram Batra was a man fired by a mission says hero's father
- How the Eggheads Cracked
- A stellar Anya-Taylor Joy ends SNL's 46th season with some joy, dammit
'Miracle' Coin That Saved WWI Soldier's Life When It Deflected a Bullet Goes Up for Auction have 438 words, post on www.geek.com at March 16, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.