THE UK was struck by a magnitude 3.3 earthquake which woke residents in Surrey last night.
Here’s the lowdown on the latest Surrey earthquake
Where did it happen and was there any damage?
The earthquake struck just before 3:45am and was felt in Newdigate, Surrey, less than ten miles from Gatwick airport.
Resident have blamed the earthquakes on oil drilling at sites in Horse Hill and Brockham – but a report has dismissed this claim.
The earthquake was felt by people living Greater London, West Sussex and Surrey.
The quake is reported to have caused houses and blocks of flats to shake.
Dozens of terrified residents who live near Gatwick Airport took to social media to say that they felt their “whole house shaking”.
Rosie Young tweeted: “Whole block of flats shook! Thank God for #twitter to reassure me it was an earthquake and my flats aren’t falling down!!! #Reigate #Surrey”
Albanian killer fighting deportation over right to happy family life beats wife
£148m EuroMillions winner scoffs 50 home-delivered Cornish pasties every WEEK
TREE OF TERROR
Mum horrified to learn what the strange ‘pods’ were hanging from branches
MISSED THE BOAT
Clueless couple stranded as cruise leaves WITHOUT them because they’re late
Momo Challenge in ‘Peppa Pig and Fortnite vids’ as YouTube and Instagram slammed
HEN DO MYSTERY
Brit newlywed, 27, ‘CLUNG to balcony before fatal Benidorm hotel plunge’
Stuart Lee tweeted: “Did we just have an earthquake in Surrey? Just woken up to the whole house shaking…”
Tim Dobisz tweeted: “That really was an #earthquake in Surrey, a couple of minutes ago, wasn’t it!! House shaking woke me up.”
Esther tweeted: “Literally just got woken up by an earthquake shaking my bed and so did people all over Surrey that was spooky.”
- When did Libby Squire go missing and what's the latest news on the Hull student?
- Earthquakes today MAPPED: New Zealand struck by strong earthquake
- Earthquakes today MAPPED: India and the Virgin Islands hit as 29 tremors ROCK Ring of fire
- Earthquakes today MAPPED: STRONG magnitude 5.4 earthquake hits Indonesia
- Vanuatu earthquake: Huge 6.3 magnitude quake strikes island visited by Kate and William
- Peru EARTHQUAKE: Massive 7.3 magnitude quake smashes South America - tsunami fears
- Two small earthquakes recorded in East Tennessee one day after 4.4 magnitude quake
- 4.5-magnitude quake strikes Greek island; no damage reported
- 4.0 preliminary magnitude quake hits far Northern California
- UK weather: Snow causes chaos as temperatures hit lowest for seven years - latest news and forecast