PIERS Morgan has blasted George Clooney’s claim that Meghan Markle is being “vilified like Princess Diana”.
The Good Morning Britain host’s blistering rebuttal came after Clooney criticised the press for “pursuing” the 37-year-old Duchess of Sussex.
“She’s a woman who is seven months pregnant and she is being pursued and vilified and chased in the same way that Diana was, and it’s history repeating itself.
“And we’ve seen how that ends. I can’t tell you how frustrating it is to see that.”
Clooney’s comments came as Meghan was locked in a fierce war of words with her family after a bombshell letter to her dad was leaked to a newspaper last weekend.
PIERS HITS BACK
But hours later Piers Morgan hit back at Clooney’s claims in his column for the MailOnline.
He wrote: “He [Clooney] is wrong to blame the media for negative headlines driven largely by Meghan’s own family.
“They are the ones vilifying her because she has disowned them all, and they understandably feel hurt about that.”
The tabloid veteran added: “The problem is Meghan’s incredibly toxic relationship with her family that shows no sign of abating and in fact, gets worse by the day.”
“The problem here isn’t the media, which has largely given Meghan a very positive ride.”
Morgan, who has spoken in the past about supposedly being “ghosted” by Markle, says the Duchess “knew exactly what she was doing” when she married Harry and “milked the global fame… with obvious glee” – unlike the “naive” 19-year-old Diana.
The 53-year-old broadcaster urges Meghan to reunite with her “ailing and flailing father”, saying: “No wonder then that her family feel less than enamoured towards the newly ennobled Duchess: she’s dumped them all like a sack of rancid potatoes, lest they poison her perfect new privileged royal well.”
The spat came after a five-page letter from Meghan to her dad Thomas was leaked to the press, revealing how his “actions have broken [her] heart into a million pieces”.
In it, Meghan slammed her dad for his wayward behaviour and for “creating so much pain”, as well as exploiting her relationship with Harry.
Meghan’s family has been an ongoing source of concern for Kensington Palace over the past year.
Thomas Markle Snr, 74, is still yet to meet Prince Harry after withdrawing from the Royal Wedding for health reasons just days before he was supposed to walk Meghan down the aisle.
Since then, he has given numerous bizarre interviews to the press about his failing relationship with his daughter.
He is not Meghan’s only family member to have undermined Meghan in her new position.
Her half-sister, Samantha Markle, has launched a stream of vitriolic snipes at the Duchess – despite not having seen her for years.
- Fashion icons and philanthropists who gave the Royal Family a modern makeover: All the ways Meghan Markle is like Princess Diana
- Why does Kate Middleton keep dressing like Princess Diana?
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s engagement couldn’t be any more different than Charles and Diana’s nearly 40 years earlier
- It looks like Meghan Markle’s dad has been axed from the royal wedding — and it shows how powerful the paparazzi still are
- Meghan Markle was reportedly baptised by the Archbishop of Canterbury in a secret ceremony this week
- Meghan Markle will get a fancy new title when she marries Prince Harry — but it’s so weird that she’ll never use it
- These are the first photos of Meghan Markle’s wedding dress
- Home video shows an 8-year-old Meghan Markle playing the Queen and ordering her ‘servants’ to make 900,000 cookies
- This home video shows an 8-year-old Meghan Markle playing the Queen and ordering her ‘servants’ to make 900,000 cookies
- Meghan Markle’s father is reportedly no longer attending the royal wedding after a heart attack and paparazzi scandal