MEGHAN Markle is risking Royal Family’s reputation with lavish baby shower, Princess Diana’s former top aide says.
The Duchess of Sussex, 37, jetted into New York this week to have a baby shower with friends and indulge in some shopping.
The trip reportedly cost around £330,000 but because it was a private visit the British taxpayer didn’t pick up the tab.
Friends of Meghan are said to have paid the bill but the Duchess came under fire for making the journey.
Meghan, along with husband Prince Harry, 34, are now on off to Morocco for a three-day visit promoting diplomatic relations and showing support for charitable causes.
Princess Diana’s former private secretary Patrick Jephson has now issued a word of caution saying jaunts, like Meghan’s baby shower trip, risk the “credibility and dignity” of the “royal free-riders”.
He said: “She is a prominent member of the British Royal Family, entrusted with the country’s reputation in everything she does. That responsibility sometimes seems at odds with her personal behaviour.
Mr Jephson wrote in the Daily Mail: “From any angle, the look of Meghan’s Manhattan partying is pretty unedifying. Not just for its excess — though that’s impressively unsettling — but for its calculated recklessness.”
From any angle, the look of Meghan’s Manhattan partying is pretty unedifying
He added: “I suspect anxious courtiers might reasonably be pondering that if this People stunt is how she treats her own flesh and blood, what might she be willing to do to her in-laws if they were ever to similarly incur her displeasure?”
Mr Jephson, who was Diana’s equerry and private secretary between 1988 and 1996, thought the former actress had a stark choice to make.
“It’s a stark choice between the path of celebrity versus the path of duty, service and sacrifice,” he said.
Meghan used a a Gulfstream G450 twin jet plane, which is believed to have cost £95,000 for the six-hour journey back to the UK from the Big Apple.
She stayed in a swanky Manhattan hotel’s £57,000-a-night penthouse following her star-studded baby shower.
HIT THE ROAD JACK
Now Brit ISIS convert Jihadi Jack begs to come back as he misses Dr Who
Alesha MacPhail’s killer ‘has price on his head’ after rape and murder of girl, six
JAILBIRD’S VILE CLAIM
Amber Peat’s ‘evil’ conman stepdad claims he’s REAL victim of tragedy
LOVED TILL THE END
Dad died with baby son in his arms after 12-hour cocaine and booze binge
Alesha’s killer caught on mum’s CCTV returning home to shower after rape & murder
GONE TOO SOON
Army tragedy as young squaddie is found dead in a field yards from barracks
Her exit came after Amal Clooney, Suits star Abigail Spencer and stylist Jessica Mulroney were all snapped leaving the hotel in a snow shower.
Williams is reportedly footing the £60,000 bill for extravagant shower.
- No Shit Meghan Markle Was Obsessed With Princess Diana, Just Like Everybody Else
- Yes, Those Are Meghan Markle's Potential Wedding Dress Designs Floating Around
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Went for A Super-Casual Walk
- U.K. Politician's Girlfriend On Meghan Markle: 'This Is Britain, Not Africa'
- Meghan Markle Was Once a Mere Mortal Who Lived in This Toronto House
- Royal wedding 2018 countdown: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are marrying tomorrow
- Princess Diana's mother called her 'a whore' for dating Muslim men: doc
- Meghan Markle's Half-Sister Is Feuding With Prince Harry, Who Probably Doesn't Know Her
- Meghan Markle's Bridal Party Has Been Revealed, and Includes Not One Cast Member From
- Meghan Markle’s Dad Is Really Bumming Me Out These Days