The President of India has appointed Saugata Bhattacharyya, Manojit Mandal, Tirthankar Ghosh, Sh Hiranmay Bhattacharyya and Md. Nizamuddin as Additional Judges of Calcutta High Court.
Except Manojit Mandal whose charge is till 26th September 2020, all others have been appointed for two years.
Saugata Bhattacharya was recommended to the High Court by the Supreme Court Collegium on 26th October 2018, while Tirthankar Ghosh and Hiranmay Bhattacharyya on 5th December, 2018.
Tirthankar Ghosh and Hiranmay Bhattacharyya were recommended by the Collegium on 5th December, last year.
On January 16th, the Collegium recommended names of Sandipan Ganguly, Advocate and Manojit Mondal. However, Ganguly has not been appointed yet.
Nizammuddin was first recommended for elevation in early 2016, along with several other names. While all the others were appointed to the bench, the Centre withheld his candidature for a long time. The SC Collegium reiterated his name again in November 2016 and April 2017.
- SC recommends 12 judges for Karnataka HC
- Judge-appointed trio to decide compensation for nonprofit as part of trail project
- Judge-appointed trio to decide nonprofit's compensation for trail project
- Avoiding dog attacks, Abbott's judge appointments, homeless shelter
- Federal judge appoints attorney to investigate fatal shooting by Oakland cops
- New judge appointed to APD reform effort
- Judge Orders Santa Monica to Switch to District Elections
- dynaCERT Inc. Carbon Emission Reduction Technology, Activity, Appointments, Government Trials, and Awards
- Surprise! Cardinals HC Kingsbury raves about Kyler Murray and Josh Rosen
- Tamil War Victims Urge UNHRC Not to Give Additional Time to Sri Lanka & Refer it to International Criminal Court (ICC)