Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren has been a favourite of the progressive left for more than a decade. Can she translate her policy knowledge and popularity with the liberal grassroots into presidential campaign success? In a crowded field, it may not be easy.”So, I want to tell you a story.”Elizabeth Warren officially launched her campaign for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination the way you might imagine a former Harvard professor would begin. With a history lesson.The Massachusetts senator told the crowd of several thousand in Saturday’s blustery cold about Everett Mill, the site where they had gathered in Lawrence, Massachusetts . Back in 1912, the textile factory was the scene of a labour strike for better pay and working conditions that expanded to include 20,000 workers, mostly women, in the then-bustling industrial town.The movement that started in Lawrence, she explained, led to government-mandated minimum wage, union rights, weekends off, overtime pay and new safety laws across the US.”The story of Lawrence is a story about how real change happens in America,” Ms Warren said. “It’s a story about power – our power – when we fight together.” The extended opening was classic Warren. Erudite, informative and a bit long-winded. A mix… Read full this story
- Sanders drops out of White House race, Biden becomes presumptive Democrat president nominee
- Anthony Scaramucci: From calling Donald Trump a 'hack', to landing a major White House gig and then losing it
- Warren: Congress should remove funding cap for small business aid in coronavirus bill
- Warren’s souvenir wine bottle pops up in big-donor debate
- Alarming data shows African Americans make up a disproportionate share of coronavirus cases and are more likely to die - as senators demand testing is expanded to communities
- Samantha Power votes for Biden, praises his 'empathy and decency'
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by the APTA - Biden looks for Super Tuesday surge; coronavirus fears heighten
- 2020 Democratic candidates support Las Vegas casino workers on debate day
- Sanders drops out of presidential race
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Biden vs. Trump as Sanders exits race
Elizabeth Warren: Can she go all the way to the White House? have 341 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at February 13, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.