COMPOSER Andre Previn has died at his home in New York at the age of 89, it has been announced.
Previn, who was famous for an appearance in a sketch on the Morecambe and Wise Show, died on Thursday morning, his manager told the BBC.
Previn is best known for ditching a lucrative career in Hollywood to pursue his love of classical music as a jazz pianist.
During his lifetime he won four Oscars but many will remember him attempting to perform Grieg’s piano concerto with Morecambe and Wise.
He was the jazz virtuoso and legendary conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra who married a string of beautiful and talented women.
Andre George Previn was born in Berlin in 1929 in a wealthy Jewish family.
His father enrolled him in the Berlin Conservatory of Music aged 6 after discovering he had perfect pitch, Variety reports.
In 1938 Previn was expelled from the conservatory for being Jewish and his family fled to Paris, where he studied at the Paris Conservatory.
As a teenager, he found work as a composer and arranger in Hollywood, mostly at MGM, winning four Oscars for his orchestrations of such stylish musicals as 1964’s “My Fair Lady.”
Previn was nominated for 13 Academy Awards and won four.
Besides “My Fair Lady,” his Oscar-winning orchestrations included “Gigi” (1958), “Porgy and Bess” (1959) and “Irma La Douce” (1963).
For the latest news on this story keep checking back at Sun Online, where we will bring you live updates as soon as they happen, before anyone else.
Thesun.co.uk is your go to destination for the best celebrity news, football news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video
- William Goldman dead at 87 – Oscar-winning screenwriter who created All The President’s Men passes away surrounded by family
- Bernardo Bertolucci dead at 77 – Oscar-winning director of Last Tango in Paris and The Last Emperor passes away
- Bernardo Bertolucci, Oscar-winning director of ‘The Last Emperor,’ dies at 77
- 'He was a young gentleman'- tributes paid to Irish man (21) who died in New York assault
- 'He was a young gentleman'- tributes paid to Irishman (21) who died in New York assault
- 'One killed' as car ploughs into pedestrians in New York's Chinatown
- New York's 'champagne water' takes on soil taste
- Alec Baldwin denies punching driver over parking space as actor charged with assault in New York
- Bombs sent to Barack Obama and New York home of Bill and Hillary Clinton
- How to do New York like Gemma Chan