The eastern Orthodox church has over 250 million members around the world, with its spiritual leader based in Istanbul.
But for followers in Ukraine, there’s a new found independence.
Churches there have officially cut ties with the Russian branch of the church – accusing it of what they call ‘pro-Moscow propaganda’.
But the decision has angered Russian leaders, with Moscow warning of serious consequences for what it calls political maneuvering.
Presenter: Elizabeth Puranam
Valentin Yakushik – professor of political science at the National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy
Marat Shterin – professor of sociology of religion and department head of theology and religious studies at King’s College London
Alexander Bratersky – senior foreign policy writer at Gazeta.ru newspaper
Source: Al Jazeera News
- Ukraine relaunches anti-rebel operation after Biden leaves
- One dead as renewed fighting rattles Ukraine truce
- Pussy Riot vows no let-up in Russia human rights fight at Asia awards
- Reasons behind Ukraine’s EU trade deal refusal
- Trump deepens G7 divide with call to readmit Russia
- Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel visits Russia
- Greek PM blasts Russia sanctions at Putin meet
- Ukraine, pro-Russian rebels agree Orthodox Easter truce
- Ukraine protests spread as opposition snubs compromise offer
- Obama gives Ukraine full backing as stand-off hardens
- Russia, West reach surprise deal on Ukraine crisis
- Crimea moves to join Russia as West readies sanctions
- Ukraine brings back draft as rebellion spreads, threatens split
- East Ukraine city faces separatist split
- Macron, Putin hold 'frank' talks on Syria, Ukraine
- Ukraine "split" in two, Putin says after Kiev signs EU deal
- Rebels appeal to join Russia after east Ukraine referendum
- Crimea military town splits as Russia moves in
- Ukraine urges talks as stand-off turns bloody
- Rebels declare victory in east Ukraine vote on self-rule
Why has Ukraine's Orthodox church split from Russia? have 268 words, post on www.aljazeera.com at January 7, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.